PLEASE HELP,, too big of a chick hatching.

aurorarose25

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Mesa, Az
I have a banty ameracauna that pipped internally and was chirping like crazy then it started to get quieter and quieter. So I cracked a small hole for the baby to get some extra air. I looked in the hole and here is this baby chick gasping and squished in this egg. the sac its in was tight on its body almost shrink wrapped but not yet, slightly wet still. i made a little bit bigger hole. but it seems it is really squished in there.. What should I do. Is one of a couple that have made it this far out of 18. I really don't want it to die.

Please help any suggestions.....

yikes at this point if it has been 24 hours since it pipped I would try peeling a little bit more of egg at a time before it gets shrink wrapped to the shell. Let me know how it goes..

I went to MCC in Mesa, good school
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I peeled a little more shell away and man he is squished. his head and neck are on the bottom part of the egg with its beak just poking out of the wing.. hopefully this helps..

the little muchkin finally hatched. I had to crack half the shell off and put him on his side for him to get out but he now has a little bit of some part of its tummy where it was attached to the yolk that is sticking out..

will it go back in on its own?

Quote:
Chicks do look "squished" in the egg when they're hatching......and they look to us to be in a very uncomfortable position.

It often takes 24+ hours from the time they pip until they even start to zip and complete the hatching process.

If some of the yolk isn't absorbed, that means it was not ready to hatch. As the hatching process moves along the yolk sac is drawn up into it's body....the "help" you gave it rushed it too much more than likely. Time will tell if it finishes being absorbed.

Quote:
Chicks do look "squished" in the egg when they're hatching......and they look to us to be in a very uncomfortable position.

It often takes 24+ hours from the time they pip until they even start to zip and complete the hatching process.

If some of the yolk isn't absorbed, that means it was not ready to hatch. As the hatching process moves along the yolk sac is drawn up into it's body....the "help" you gave it rushed it too much more than likely. Time will tell if it finishes being absorbed.

there was no yolk it just looks like it has a red outtie..

Back
Top Bottom