please help! Transitioning an imprinted 1-month old duck away from me

Do you have a dog crate you can keep the duckling in around your geese so they get used to him, but he is still protected from their pecks? That’s how we usually integrate new ducklings if the moms don’t take to them right away. We have an XL dog crate that we set up in the duck run to get them acclimated. It takes a week or two, but usually everything works out ok!

That made me laugh, made me think of my boy and how much I loved him, he was my baby.
It's wonderful your going to keep him and are building him his outdoor cage. Pictures when you can.
LOL... careful what you ask for... I have so many pictures... here are some :)

Lucky Duck as a baby:
little_duck.JPG

Hanging out with Jorek the Dog
with_dog.jpg

Exploring outside with Odin the Cat
with_odin_cat.jpg

Luz Goose & Tabitha Goose are curious (and Tabitha disapproves!)
curious_geese.jpg

Lucky Duck loves sitting in front of the mirror (Kit Kat in the background!)
in_the_mirror.jpg

Lucky in the pool :)

swimming.jpg

Hanging out on the couch...
bigger.jpg

Lucky looking for food and love
lucky_head.jpg

Lucky the Duck, most recent picture (taken just a few moments ago)
now.jpg

Hello again... So since I have decided to keep Lucky Duck, I am reading as much as I can. I keep seeing that it is important to keep more than one duck. I understand that. The problem is, I am not in a position to add ANOTHER duck to the family. I might be able to do this in a year or two or three, but right now, as mentioned, I am a renter with now 7 animals. Adding one more duck would be extremely difficult.

I do now have a few options (other than the aforementioned 'residential' sanctuary) of people offering to take the duck. These people have 3 or 4 ducks. Lucky loves me and is very happy currently. Perhaps when he (she?) is older, it will want to go live somewhere else, but I imagine it would be difficult for him to leave the only family he knows. How will I know what to do??? I would love suggestions / advice. Thank you in advance.

When Lucky Duck gets mature which can happen anywhere from 4 months up he is going to want female companionship in other words he is going to want to mate and that someone will be you if he hasn't anyone else in the feathered class to show his affections too. Those of us who have raised a single drake can verify their hormones get in the way of them acting normal. So you might want to consider those who have offered to take him if you know he will be cared for and you can check on him from time to time.

When Lucky Duck gets mature which can happen anywhere from 4 months up he is going to want female companionship in other words he is going to want to mate and that someone will be you if he hasn't anyone else in the feathered class to show his affections too. Those of us who have raised a single drake can verify their hormones get in the way of them acting normal. So you might want to consider those who have offered to take him if you know he will be cared for and you can check on him from time to time.
Thank you! I don't know if Lucky is male or female yet. My intuition tells me it's female. How will I be able to tell? And if Luck is a female, will she too be looking to mate... or is it a different situation? Thank you in advance. All the advice I am receiving from this forum is very helpful.

Did you say Lucky is wild duck or a domestic? I would think wild females would quack loudly just like domestic since the domestic come from wild mallards. Drakes have a very raspy voice they don't quack. Does Ducky make any noise at all and if so can you video it and post it on YouTube or another platform and copy and paste it here?

Did you say Lucky is wild duck or a domestic? I would think wild females would quack loudly just like domestic since the domestic come from wild mallards. Drakes have a very raspy voice they don't quack. Does Ducky make any noise at all and if so can you video it and post it on YouTube or another platform and copy and paste it here?
Thanks, Miss Lydia. :) Lucky still doesn't quack, just little chirps of happiness. I certainly will send a video when the quacks start coming. ... Currently on my foot! LOL I love this little ball of feathers. Thank you!!!

LOL... careful what you ask for... I have so many pictures... here are some :)

Lucky Duck as a baby:
View attachment 3820408

Hanging out with Jorek the Dog
View attachment 3820409

Exploring outside with Odin the Cat
View attachment 3820410

Luz Goose & Tabitha Goose are curious (and Tabitha disapproves!)
View attachment 3820416

Lucky Duck loves sitting in front of the mirror (Kit Kat in the background!)
View attachment 3820417

Lucky in the pool :)

View attachment 3820419

Hanging out on the couch...
View attachment 3820420

Lucky looking for food and love
View attachment 3820421

Lucky the Duck, most recent picture (taken just a few moments ago)
View attachment 3820422
Beautiful Ducks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom