1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help urgently! Goose vomiting???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MommaOrp, Nov 3, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    My 2 year old goose (who was fine yesterday) is practically lifeless and vomiting his food up. Ive never seen it before. My chickens and ducks are in good health but my other 3 geese are looking a little mopey, not sure why, but no signs of vomiting in them yet. Theyre being feed on scraps and a few pellets plus free ranging grass all day, they have plenty of fresh water. Droppings are ok but they dont seem to be feeding as usual also no honking when they see me which is very unusual. Im wondering what could cause the vomiting? i.e infections, diseases, poison?!? please help, i feel he may be gone to far but i don't want to loose them all!!

2. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Call your veterinarian as soon as possible for the quickest and best advise.
    Good luck!

3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    could raw potato be the culprit? i have a feeling my neighbours may have given it to them.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:I don't know. I hope you looked it up. I know they are bad for chickens but don't know about geese. I hope she is better. Don't let her dehydrate. You may want to get some pedialite for her.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I did a little research and I did find a couple of references about how raw potatoes contain a toxin that can harm chickens and pet birds like parakeets and other animals. It did not mention geese or any other waterfowl, though. It doesn't sound like it would kill them, but it will make them very sick depending on how much is eaten. The toxin is in the skin of the potato. Cooked potatoes are perfectly fine to feed them.

I don't know what advice to give you medically except I agree with keeping him hydrated with electrolytes.

So many people have no idea what to feed waterfowl. Many people seem to think that the birds will know what to eat and what's not good for them. Of course, anyone knows that waterfowl can be little piggies. I've seen people leave raw beans and pastries out for birds to eat.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How are your geese doing today? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by