1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Please help! What do I have?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ahollie, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ahollie

ahollie Hatching

Aug 13, 2010
    So glad that I found this site! I am new to chickens and I love my backyard flock. I have two chickens that I hatched and 9 that I purchased from a local family farm. I have what I assume to be 9 definate pullets. All of my folks are about 14 weeks. Two are a mystery to me as far as gender. I have 2 mixed breed birds - probably Egyptian Fayoumi and somthing else, 4 Barred Rocks and 5 Ameraucanas. 2 of my Ameraucanas are confusing me. Please help! Both have longer tail feathers and are more aggressive toward one another, but there is absolutely NO CROWING! And they are not very dominant. No so much so that I have noticed a huge difference from the rest of the flock and their combs are not more pronounced at all. I am at a loss.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Terri O

Terri O Songster

They certainly COULD be roos. Mine done generally crow until they are a bit older than that. Seems like about a week or two before the hens start to lay. Pics? Terri O

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]

Pictures would help a lot! [​IMG]
    From what I have read Ameraucana/EE's take longer to sex than other breeds.

4. Chickenlover7711

Chickenlover7711 In the Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    can you put a picture in. you go to uploads and then select and copy the picture onto the message.

5. ahollie

ahollie Hatching

Aug 13, 2010
    [​IMG]

Here they are! Sorry that you really can't see anything. Once they get into the compost pile, they avoid me while digging for bugs! This picture is HUGE!!! lol

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  6. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Looks like 3 are pretty roo's in the photos

7. ahollie

ahollie Hatching

Aug 13, 2010
    3, oh no! Only the two have been going at it and ruffling their neck feathers or guarding the ladies. You see another one?

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:I see two/three cockerels here - the blue up front, the "white" to the right and the one possible - back of the picture, second behind the blue cockerel (one facing the camera, not the one facing left).

9. ahollie

ahollie Hatching

Aug 13, 2010
    See, this is why I need BYC!!! I am so green when it comes to chickens!!

10. mpwjaa06

mpwjaa06 In the Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Long County
    I agree I just not to long ago went through that and yes right before the girls start to lay they will crow. You have 3 roo's and they are loud. Mine is and deep when he does is wake up call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: