PLEASE HELP, WHAT SHOULD I DO

KBGChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
My lamp was about to fall In the brooder and my chicks were eating and drinking and they all got super scared :( and went to the corner they are not moving out of the corner, now I am trying to find something to secure the lamp with but what should I do to move them out the corner? And should I turn the lamp on or off ? It's a 250 watt heat bulb what should I do?

The most important thing is to secure the lamp so it doesn't fall on them. They got a good scare, but will surely get over it as soon as you get everything secure. As far as turning the light on or off, how chilly is it where they are? They don't need to be chilled. If in doubt, turn it on at one end of the brooder and if they are too hot, they will go to the other end.

Your pic doesn't exactly show "what" your heat lamp is clamped to....what I ended up doing when I put my now going on 5 week old chicks into a bigger brooder box was I took chicken wire and layed it over about 2/3's of the top of the box, securing it down. Then I removed those half-circle thingies on the lamp and just set the heat lamp on top of the wire mesh. It has a two-fold advantage...I don't have to use a 250-watt heat lamp bulb any longer...in fact, I'm using a small 25-watt "party bulb" that is red....go figure!! Temp is nice!

Your pic doesn't exactly show "what" your heat lamp is clamped to....what I ended up doing when I put my now going on 5 week old chicks into a bigger brooder box was I took chicken wire and layed it over about 2/3's of the top of the box, securing it down. Then I removed those half-circle thingies on the lamp and just set the heat lamp on top of the wire mesh. It has a two-fold advantage...I don't have to use a 250-watt heat lamp bulb any longer...in fact, I'm using a small 25-watt "party bulb" that is red....go figure!! Temp is nice!

Thanks they are back to normal now and I put the outside without a heat lamp it's 75 degrees and the sun is shining on a part of the brooder and the other part is cool and shadowy they seem to be enjoying it, but when they are 5 five weeks old they still need the lamp? And should I just get a bigger bin and also just cover the top with wire mesh and put it on top of the box? Won't that heat them too much?

Thanks they are back to normal now and I put the outside without a heat lamp it's 75 degrees and the sun is shining on a part of the brooder and the other part is cool and shadowy they seem to be enjoying it, but when they are 5 five weeks old they still need the lamp? And should I just get a bigger bin and also just cover the top with wire mesh and put it on top of the box? Won't that heat them too much?
No, don't think so...just go to the store and buy a 25-watt red 'party bulb' ... works for me! Lots less electricity, too!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom