Please help! Why does my duck keep shaking her head with her mouth open?

Drowsy_808

Chirping
Aug 29, 2022
It’s been two days already and it keeps happening. I don’t think anything is stuck in her mouth, but maybe her own tiny feathers? She hasn’t left the house for some days, so she couldn’t have found food from outside. It’s only started happening recently.

She’s a Pekin duck and one years old. Her feed is Manno Pro pellets.

Can you get a video, post it to a video hosting site and link it here?
Unfortunately, I don’t think I can. I can describe it though, will that help?
She shakes her head with her mouth open most of the time. It looks like she’s trying to get something out, but it’s already the second day and we gave her plenty of water. She ate over five times already, so whatever it is, it should already be in her stomach. However, she still shakes her head, so I’m assuming it isn’t something stuck in her throat.

What type of waterer do you have? Ducks need a bucket of water so they can dunk their whole head in them.

If you are using a bucket already, you need to look in her mouth and see if there is an obstruction. Carefully, have someone help, open the beak and use a flashlight to look inside.

Maybe she just has a stuffy nose or an itch.

What type of waterer do you have? Ducks need a bucket of water so they can dunk their whole head in them.

If you are using a bucket already, you need to look in her mouth and see if there is an obstruction. Carefully, have someone help, open the beak and use a flashlight to look inside.

Maybe she just has a stuffy nose or an itch.
She isn’t feeling well right now and she doesn’t have a habit of doing that, so I’m not sure if it’s a good idea right now. Will it work if I help pour some water on their head?

I looked into her mouth, but I didn’t see anything. It doesn’t seem like a stuffy nose or itch since she’s been shaking her head every hour or few for the last two days.

Better if she can do that by herself. Don't want her to choke. If she is eating regularly and is acting normal with no other issues, it might not be a problem. Just keep an eye on her and watch if anything else changes.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom