Please help with bumble foot and scaly leg mites. What do I do?

Goddess hen 763

Chirping
Sep 25, 2019
I need help. My rooster is about 3 years old. He is an Easter egger. He is an amazing bird and I would hate to loose him. The problem is he’s going downhill fast. He has poultry lice, several bald spots. I have those under control

I’ve looked everywhere and I don’t know what to do. What do I do to cure bumble foot and a minor case of scaly leg mites. His foot is about to pop out the top and when I push the dirt on the underside of his foot, “milk/puss” comes out. Please help me :hit

When one of my birds had bumblefoot I regularly cleaned his feet in warm water and applied antibiotic ointment. For more severe cases I believe people cut the infection out and apply antibiotic and bandage it, but i would research that more. I've never dealt with leg mites but a friend has and she soaked the chickens legs in warm water then applied vaseline regularly to suffocate the mites.

I'd reccomend adding a picture so we can see how severe the infection is. It might be best to bring the chicken to the vet it you can.

I need help. My rooster is about 3 years old. He is an Easter egger. He is an amazing bird and I would hate to loose him. The problem is he’s going downhill fast. He has poultry lice, several bald spots. I have those under control

I’ve looked everywhere and I don’t know what to do. What do I do to cure bumble foot and a minor case of scaly leg mites. His foot is about to pop out the top and when I push the dirt on the underside of his foot, “milk/puss” comes out. Please help me :hit
Bumblefoot is basically an infection caused by the staphylococcus bacteria which enters the chicken's system through a cut, scratch, injury or a chafed and irritated area on its foot. The infection creates an abscess full of pus. It affects all species of poultry and occurs worldwide.
Apply antibacterial ointment or cream to the blister. Cover the blister with a bandage or gauze. Clean and reapply antibacterial ointment daily. Keep the blister covered until it heals.

Can you post some photos of your rooster and his foot?
You mention he is going downhill fast - describe the symptoms you are seeing - is he lethargic, not eating/drinking, etc.

You have taken care of the lice problem correct - those are all gone?

New news today. My father says he’s 90 percent sure he can fix it. He has saved several of our pets but is not good with keeping chickens healthy (Ben is my bird, but he needed to borrow a rooster and so he took mine)
We are going to cut the glob out and maybe stick it up. Then we will put a wrap on it. Thank you all for the advise. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom