1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help with call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by olpoll, Sep 24, 2008.

1. olpoll

olpoll Out Of The Brooder

hello,
    im new to the forum i keep nine hens one cockerel and three call ducks,
    the problem i have is with the ducks i got three apricot calls about three months ago from a breeder i was told that i had 2 ducks and a drake but have since found out that i have two drakes and one duck,
    i know this isn't good and this morning i caught the biggest drake mating the duck there is no fighting between the drakes yet and i think only one is mating the duck,
    what should i do???
    i cant find any one with females for sale i phoned the breeder and she offered to buy one drake back (she has no females)
    ive had no eggs from the female yet now the male is mating her will i get eggs or will she wait until spring?
    should i keep trying to get more females or should i sell the spare drake? [​IMG]
    PS i would like to have a go at breeding would this be easier to start with just two, a duck and drake.

thanks Olpoll

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

First I want to say that I will be no help at all! [​IMG]
    I have three call ducks, also. It is quickly becoming obvious that I have 3 females. Of course no one has a Grey drake to sell me.

I'll watch this thread as I have questions like yours. I have lost my heart to these beautiful tiny ducks!! Good luck with yours!

3. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Calls normally lay spring through summer. With the season changing most won't be laying. I wouldn't expect eggs until next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by