Please help with Drake Penis Questions

KARy408

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Livermore, CA
Yes, I went there.

I JUST bought a new Pekin Drake from my feed store after suddenly loosing 1 Girl and the only Drake from our flock. As soon as I got this new boy home, we noticed his penis hanging out, and it hasn't gone back in!

Now he hasn't started mating yet, because we still have him separated from the rest of the flock. But he's in a large dog kennel in the middle of the flock's free range space and he can definitely see and interact with my 9 remaining girls. Could he just be super overwhelmed and excited? Or perhaps stressed out from the recent relocation? Should I leave him be or try to intervene?

I know a prolapsed penis is a really bad thing, but I'm not convinced yet that's what this is. The penis itself looks perfectly healthy to me, it's long and squiggly, thicker at the base and grayish/white in color (TMI!? LOL!). I think it may, very slowly be retracting...it seems not quite as long as it was earlier...but I'm not 100% sure.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Are you able to put him in a bathtub or pool? When my ducks have that problem they usually jump in the pool and it seems to fix it.

Hope this helps.

IDK!!! We just put him in a pool out back, not warm water but room tempt/cool. I don't think the poor guy has ever been swimming before, all he did was float there and kick his legs occasionally. We left him in for about 20 minutes.

Upon closer examination of the penis, it's definitely strong, pink and healthy looking at the base but then about 3/4" out it looks almost sheathed or coated in something (dirt, poop?) that's causing the drastic grey-ish white color change. It also shrivels down to about the size of a spaghetti noodle at the bottom. It appears this is why it won't retract. I tried wiping it down a bit after the bath, but he really did not like that! And it didn't really do much. The thing is still hanging out and its been several hours since we first brought him home and noticed. My husband is convinced it's been this way for awhile, that no one at TFS noticed either... He seems perfectly normal otherwise, but is it fair to assume at this point he's not going to be a viable breeder, no matter the outcome?

I don't know how to paste a website so on the top of the page it says forum nav: or advanced search, type in duck penis prolapse and it will show you several discussion sites on how to fix this problem.

@KARy408 I'd put him in some cool water for a while. My Dachshund actually had this happen and after trying different things I put him in some cool water and let him soak for about 15 min it really helped, after your drake has soaked then take some Prep H or KY jelly or vaseline and slather it all over his penis. keep him on clean old towels not anything that will stick to it you might try to gently push it back inside and see if it will stay. I think if he had this at the feed store it would have been noticeable you can miss these things. You def want to keep it moist so it doesn't dry out. While working on him wrap him in a large towel so you aren't having to deal with his wings.

Back
Top Bottom