Please help with euthanizing a chicken

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
I have to put one of my little girls down.
hit.gif
Prolonging it would just be for us, not for her. I was wondering if anyone had used the broomstick method and could walk me through it? I don't even own an ax, and besides, I don't think I could do that. I've heard that you can put a broomstick on the neck and then pull up on the legs, but if anyone has done or has more experience, please help me out. I want to make sure it goes quickly and painlessly for the little girl. Thanks so much!

It's nice to have a community of people who know how hard these kinds of things can be. No one around here ever says, "it's just a chicken."

That's the way I did my last batch of meaties. Lay a broom stick on the ground (make sure it's flat), put the neck under it, stand on the broom stick, then yank the feet. It will sever the spinal cord. There will be some flopping around from the nerves, but you'll have that no matter which way you do it.

ETA: Sorry about your girl. Do you know what's wrong with her?

Last edited:
I cut their heads off with a very sharp pair of scissor:-( It's over with in two seconds-yes there is a little flapping but I do it over a bag and drop in bag ASAP! It has been the easiest way by far for younger birds. good luck

The broomstick method is the best way.

Kudos to you for thinking of your hen before yourself. And lots of hugs.

besides being awful looking, the ax is just plain dangerous.

And afterwards feed your other hens some kind of really fun treat. You'll feel a lot better.

Last edited:
Quote:
It really doesn't matter. What matters is that you have everything secure. The broomstick is behind the head and across the neck, your feet are firmly planted across the broomstick and you're sure of your balance, and you have a really good grip on the legs. Then you take a deep breath, or count to three, or whatever you have to do for yourself to resolve to do it quick and hard, and you jerk up on the feet.

You'll know you've done it right if the bird suddenly starts flapping really hard. That means the neck is broken and the bird is dead and feels absolutely nothing.

For a little pullet or a chick, a friend of mine does it this way because he just cannot handle the scissors, and the broomstick setup might not be reliable enough on a smaller bird. He wraps the bird in a towel and lays it on the ground with its head under a board, and he stamps on the board. Same thing. It's really quick.

Back
Top Bottom