Please help with gender identifiers of three particular breeds

ToKaJeKaLo

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
Independence, MO
Hello, my family purchased 7 chicks this weekend from a feed store that was hosting a stand selling chicks from Heartland Hatchery. We were wanting all hens, but of course I knew that they'd probably be st run, and they were. They had most of the breeds I was looking for but did not have 3 particular breeds that I was wanting, a gold laced polish, a marans, and a cream legbar. I found on craigslist some people selling those breeds but all st run, the trip would involve two stops spanning a 3.5 hour roundtrip. If any people are willing to help, I would like some pointers on things I can look for to improve my chances as best as possible on picking out hens for those 3 breeds. As far as I know, all the chicks available are around 3 weeks old. Thanks to anyone willing to help out.

Cream Legbars are an auto-sexing breed so you can easily determine their gender by color at hatching. Female chicks have a distinct chipmunk stripe on the back which is lacking in the male chicks. However at 3 weeks they and the Marans are much harder to sex, but males will likely have a slightly larger comb so my advice is to get the chicks with the smallest combs. I used to raised Gold Laced Polish are they are essentially impossible to sex at that age. You will just have to take your chances with them.

Last edited:
Cream Legbars are an auto-sexing breed so you can easily determine their gender by color at hatching. Female chicks have a distinct chicpmunk stripe on the back which is lacking in the male chicks. However at 3 weeks they and the Marans are much harder to sex, but males will likely have a slightly larger comb so my advice is to get the chicks with the smallest combs. I used to raised Gold Laced Polish are they are essentially impossible to sex at that age. You will just have to take your chances with them.
x2 on this advice.

Cream Legbars are an auto-sexing breed so you can easily determine their gender by color at hatching. Female chicks have a distinct chipmunk stripe on the back which is lacking in the male chicks. However at 3 weeks they and the Marans are much harder to sex, but males will likely have a slightly larger comb so my advice is to get the chicks with the smallest combs. I used to raised Gold Laced Polish are they are essentially impossible to sex at that age. You will just have to take your chances with them.
x3

Back
Top Bottom