1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Please Help with Hatch Bumble

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quillizmightier, Mar 22, 2008.

1. quillizmightier

quillizmightier In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Texas
    I have 8 chicken and 2 duck eggs hatching as a homeschool project with my sons. They built a wooden incubator with a plexiglass front with dad, and as of last night, at 16 days gestation for the chicks there was movement visible in all 8 eggs; at 23 days gestation there was movement in both duck eggs (I swear I thought I saw a little webbed foot pressed against the shell, is that possible?!)

Theh problem is, these turn out to be Muscovy Ducks which take another full week to hatch from other ducks. I had thought these would all be hatching at the same time by getting duck eggs a week older but...

Now I am worried about increasing the humidity for the chickens to hatch, and I am reading here that you can't let eggs stay in an incubator where hatching is going on because of disease. Will I drown the ducks by increasing the humidity level for the chicks to hatch, and will I kill the ducks if I let the chicks hatch in there with them then sterize the incubator?

I have to admit, I am getting seriously attached to these little guys. My son is always wanting to start some kind of business (he's an 8 year old determined entreprenneur, lol) and I am thinking this might be a good one!

Also, when they hatch, how will I tell boys from girls?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have never hatched duck eggs but I do have goose eggs in the bator and they are waterfowl.

After day 18 chickens eggs need 65% - 70% humidity.

During incubation ducks/geese need 55% - 60% humidity. In their last 4 days the humidity should be raised to 80%.

I don't see where raising the humidity for the chicken eggs will harm the duck eggs but I am no expert.

I have never tried to hatch waterfowl with chickens eggs. I have an incubator going for chicken eggs now and one for goose eggs. I am just to nervous to try and put them together in the same bator.

Maybe someone with more experience will come talk to us!

3. quillizmightier

quillizmightier In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Texas
    Thank you for your response. I am hoping all will go well. Wish me luck!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good luck! [​IMG] Make sure you come back and let us know your results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: