1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help With Hen Not Feeling Well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shelz, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Shelz

Shelz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    I noticed tonight while feeding my hens that one just didnt look right to me. The others were happily eating some BOS, and she had no interest in them.
    Upon closer inspection I saw that she has a messy, sticky looking butt, but it doesnt look like poo really, its looks sort of light colored and slimy. I watched her for awhile and she is just standing there with her tail kind of drooped downward, Then every once in awhile, she will bend her head back underneath her breast to the back end area and kinda pick at it.
    She is a young hen, she will be 2 yrs old late fall. They were all dewormed maybe 2 months ago.
    I hope somebody can help me figure out what is wrong with her so I can help her feel better asap. Thanks guys.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If it is sticky and has a sickly sweet smell it could be vent gleet. You will have to do a search on here for that.

3. Shelz

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    Thank you, I will look that up right away.

I put her in the tub and washed her hiny off......there is a spot just below the vent about the size of a quarter thats really rough like sand paper. It looks like a thin layer of white dried on poo but it didnt wash off. She seemed to enjoy the water spraying on her butt and sat there and let me do whatever I needed. She acts as if its itchy all around that area, and the feathers have been plucked out around her whole bottom. She was even picking at the area a couple times when I was washing back there. Maybe this helps more?

I will go look up "vent gleet" Thanks again

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Well the sure fire indicator of vent gleet is the sticky feel and the sweet but icky smell. Good luck!

5. Shelz

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    My poor girl os not getting any better. I put her on Duramycin for 7 days, and it hasnt helped a bit. Her poo is white and looks like it constanlty runs out of her vent. You can clean it off and its right back again. She has also lost more weight since the meds.
    I gave her buttermilk after the meds were done and that hasnt helped either.

I really dont know what else to try, and Im afraid, before long, I am going to lose her.

Any other suggestions what I can try for medicine?

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

This is not something I have ever had to treat but from what I have read, and hopefully somebody who has treated it will comment, I believe the treatment is metronidazole and penicillin. I don't know that Duramycin will be sufficient to treat vent gleet. Especially if given in the water.

7. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    One of my ameraucanas sounds similar. Is there like white dried poo running doen her vent area and the feathers are gone? She seems to be doing fine, but I didnt know it was a problem..

8. Shelz

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa

Yes! When it first started, it was much runnier, and not really white. But now its runny white poo (half dried, half wet) running down her whole backside. All of the feathers are gone around her vent, and pretty much her whole back end and underneath is bald.

I washed her bottom off again this morning, and then squirted betadine all over the area. I also put ACV in the water. Probably wont help but I figured it cant hurt.

I dont know what my next step to help her is...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by