Please help with hen.

Plinky

Chirping
Mar 9, 2016
Yesterday I noticed our almost 5 mo old beloved Brahma Plinky laying in the corner of the covered run while the others were outside doing normal chicken things. I went out to see if she was ok and she got up and started moving around normally.
Today she is obviously sluggish, keeping apart from the other three. I topped off their feed and gave them their treat balls with feed and a few meal worms inside which normally gets her all excited, but she jusst gave the feed a few pecks then lay down and PUT HER HEAD UNDER HER WING! Obviously something is wrong. I picked her up and she feels very light. Her crop was empty (though last night it was full). The other three (other breeds) have all started laying eggs; I know Brahmas develop more slowly.
Where do I start to unravel this mystery and help her?

Have you wormed lately? Lethargic and weight loss could point to a worm infestation. Coccidia is a good parasite to point your finger at.

Is her comb, wattles and face pale? Especially around her eyes? If they are that is a sign of infestation also.

How are her droppings? Is there any sign of diarrhea or blood in her poop?

If you suspect that she is carrying a worm load, check out the many helpful threads on worming your flock.

Also I suggest that you separate her from the flock so you can better watch her. You need to make sure she is drinking and eating. If she isn't you may have to tube her. Articles on this are also available on the site. Also if you decide to worm, worm your whole flock.

Good luck. I recently lost a beloved rooster to some sort of parasite infestation combined with an infection. It can happen.

Thanks for the reply. We are new chicken owners. I have never wormed. Should I just worm all of them?
I am thinking about putting her in a large dog crate that I have and bringing her closer to the house or in the basement. Or would she be more stressed away from the others. They are not bothering her (yet).

Another strange thing (I forgot to write) this morning was that she was wiping her beak back and forth, as if trying to clean something off it. But I did not see anything there.

Quarantining her as you have suggested would be good for several reasons. You can better observe her and keep her away from the healthy birds if something she has ends up being contagious. I would also recommend bringing her inside for the time being if it is hot where you are. She already sounds stressed but we need to isolate the problem. Deworming wouldn't hurt anyone.

Well, we went to the farm store and got some wormer. Also talked to a guy there that recommended being careful about separating her from the others as they would reject her when she was returned to the group! I've read posts, etc that talk about separating birds, but I don't recall having read this. Anyone have this happen?
I have to say that she looks slightly more perky at the moment. When it stops raining we are going to give her a good once over and check for anything obvious like mites, wounds... unusual poop...

Well, we went to the farm store and got some wormer. Also talked to a guy there that recommended being careful about separating her from the others as they would reject her when she was returned to the group! I've read posts, etc that talk about separating birds, but I don't recall having read this. Anyone have this happen?
I have to say that she looks slightly more perky at the moment. When it stops raining we are going to give her a good once over and check for anything obvious like mites, wounds... unusual poop...

Rejection is not the right word. She will lose her place in the pecking order if she is away too long but that is hardly the end of the world. There are a number of threads on this forum that talk about integrating bird or birds into your established flock and if she is not healthy the flock will bully and pick on her anyway because they wont tolerate an ill chicken in their ranks so it is best to quarantine now and get her healthy.

Last edited:
Here's the latest on Plinky. I went out and gave all four chickens a good look over. Vent areas very clean, no sign of anything- mites, clinging poop, nothing. Under wings, neck area, etc. the same.
Looked around for weird poop as I cleaned the outside and covered run. Several poops that could have been diareah but also looked like cecal. No obvious worms or blood.
Plinky's comb and wattles nice and red. Nothing in her nostrils. Eyes clear. Not panting or breathing funny.
The only thing was scales on legs and toes seemed a little lifted and perhaps sore. So we rubbed a light coating of vaseline on all of them. Chicken spa!
Plinky was a bit perkier.
Cleaned waterer (I do that often anyway).
Also gave vinegar water and save-a-chick electrolyte/probiotics in separate waterers.
Then a small dish of yogurt. All energetically partook of the yogurt. Then Plinky went off and laid down by herself. The others joined her for a while then Winky went in to lay an egg (judging by the "announcement").
I decided not to separate her now.
I am going to take some poop samples in the morning to a vet that I'm told is a chicken vet and see if they can do a check.
Does this seem reasonable?

Here's the latest on Plinky. I went out and gave all four chickens a good look over. Vent areas very clean, no sign of anything- mites, clinging poop, nothing. Under wings, neck area, etc. the same.
Looked around for weird poop as I cleaned the outside and covered run. Several poops that could have been diareah but also looked like cecal. No obvious worms or blood.
Plinky's comb and wattles nice and red. Nothing in her nostrils. Eyes clear. Not panting or breathing funny.
The only thing was scales on legs and toes seemed a little lifted and perhaps sore. So we rubbed a light coating of vaseline on all of them. Chicken spa!
Plinky was a bit perkier.
Cleaned waterer (I do that often anyway).
Also gave vinegar water and save-a-chick electrolyte/probiotics in separate waterers.
Then a small dish of yogurt. All energetically partook of the yogurt. Then Plinky went off and laid down by herself. The others joined her for a while then Winky went in to lay an egg (judging by the "announcement").
I decided not to separate her now.
I am going to take some poop samples in the morning to a vet that I'm told is a chicken vet and see if they can do a check.
Does this seem reasonable?

Sounds very reasonable, yes.

Back
Top Bottom