please help with my guinea pig!

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
yesterday i noticed that one of my guinea pigs could not walk because one of his back feet was hurting him. i noticed that one of the nails was over grown so i think this is what was causing the pain. he curls his foot up and can't step on it and when i pick him up he cries in pain. i would have had it sooner but the closest vet appointment is tomorrow morning. I don't think its bumble foot because he lives in a very clean house with fleece floors instead of wire or bedding. i cut the over grown toenail, gave him a warm foot bath, and put a aloe leaf on his foot. is their anything else i could do for him until he sees the vet? do you think the vet will be able to fix his foot? does any one who has rabbits know what it could be or what i should do?
hu.gif

Soak it in epsom salt dissolved in warm water and/or betadine diluted to weak tea color with warm water. If there is an open wound on the foot I'd probably squirt betadine over it and then soak in epsom salt just to be sure. Betadine is one of the best disinfectants for wounds and does not sting while epsom salt helps both disinfect and relieve soreness.

I think it will be fine - you could probably save a significant vet bill by 1. keeping it clean, and 2. apply a light layer of regular Neosporin to affected area. Keep bedding clean, and wash the owie 2X/day and use the Neosporin. Akane's advice is good as well!

Last edited:
Neosporin is actually toxic if ingested. It's not suggested to apply it to any part of an animal that they can lick.

i don't have any Neosporin but should i put some rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on it? their is no open wound on his foot but it is swollen and red. i will wash it in some some espon salt though.

Rubbing alcohol will sting and hydrogen peroxide is much better at removing debris than actually disinfecting. Both are pointless if there is no wound. The epsom salts will help more to reduce swelling and irritation.

Quote:
Epsom is also fantastic for infection and it sounds like that to me(I'm SO not a GP expert). I'm very prone to infection so when I was bitten by my cat clear to the bone - epsom soak was the first thing I did after I cleaned it with soap and water then betadine. Brought down swelling and pain very quickly - granted theres no opening in this case - you still want to watch it closely in case it is an infection and needs lancing or antibiotics from the vet.

Back
Top Bottom