Please help with roost location(s)

Dukes7779

Chirping
Apr 15, 2019
Northern NY
DE8E8CDA-3395-4FE7-80D0-744F9CD3F9F8.jpeg
E5105535-6233-4924-ABFF-160E13C18D11.jpeg
Hi all,
I need to put up the roost(s) in my coop. Coop is 8’x8’ with 5’ walls and 8’ at the peak of the ceiling and I have 9 silkies, 2 Easter Eggers, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Leghorns, and 2 Brahma. At the back of the coop is a deep litter emptying door that will fold down and two swinging doors (like the Carolina Coop design). I will have my board with PDZ under the roost(s). My problem is should I put the poop board and roost at the back at the top of the doors (which will be 3 feet off the floor) or lower along the side? I’m trying to also figure how much roost space I should provide for my silkies on the high roost because I will put a lower roost a foot off the ground for them. Or just keep an area clear for the silkies to pile on the floor as they like to do...?? Suggestions/experience please!
In pictures, red line would be the poop board, blue would be roost(s).

Silkies need a roost to start about a foot off the ground. Even standard breeds, especially big ones like Brahma need roosts to start lower to the ground to prevent leg injuries. Generally roosts should step up like a ladder so birds can get up to them.

You will also need more than a single roost to prevent problems.

You may or may not have problems mixing silkies with those other breeds. The more towards show quality the more you will have problems. Silkies in general are odd acting and can attract unwanted attention and bullying.

I haven't ever had foot or leg issues... and my perches are high up. :idunno

I would think about an L shaped, 2 level perch and poop shelf.

So, the higher poop shelf and perch that you have there at the back wall. Then a foot lower, under the window, put a second poop shelf and perch. The second one can be shorter than the first, and it will act as a boost/ladder/step up from the floor to the higher one. You might still need to put a stump or other boost on the floor for the first "step" from which the birds can hop onto the lower perch under the window...then hop onto the higher perch on the back wall.

Putting nest boxes, feeders and waterers under the poop shelves will keep the rest of the coop open.

I like the under window option better.
What kind of window will it be?
Glad to see you left your eaves open!

There will be hardware cloth over the window opening, then it will just be framed plexiglass on a hinge that will open in an awning fashion.

Thanks for the advise and tips, everyone!

I would lower them all a bit, so if you ever need to scoop a chicken off the roost at night for treatment they are low enough to grab easily from the doors. Otherwise I like it!

I haven't ever had foot or leg issues... and my perches are high up. :idunno

I would think about an L shaped, 2 level perch and poop shelf.

So, the higher poop shelf and perch that you have there at the back wall. Then a foot lower, under the window, put a second poop shelf and perch. The second one can be shorter than the first, and it will act as a boost/ladder/step up from the floor to the higher one. You might still need to put a stump or other boost on the floor for the first "step" from which the birds can hop onto the lower perch under the window...then hop onto the higher perch on the back wall.

Putting nest boxes, feeders and waterers under the poop shelves will keep the rest of the coop open.
Young birds do okay with higher roosts. Older birds can develop arthritis in their feet, and they can't get up on higher roosts, nor do they seem to want to be up there. So if the OP plans to cull birds before they get old it may not be a problem.

How old do you see the shift?

I haven't noticed. :confused:
Generally after 5-6 years. Usually by 7 years old you can see some swelling in the joints and perhaps a gimp in their step. Not all, but definitely the heavier breeds seem more prone to arthritis if that make it that long.

Back
Top Bottom