Please help with sick peacock

ThaiDye

Songster
8 Years
Jul 8, 2012
So Cal
Right after Christmas, I was deworming all the chickens & when I grabbed my 5 month old peacock, he was breathing with a heavy gurgling. I immediately removed him to a quarantine coop along with 2 other chickens showing similar symptoms.
I've been treating daily with liquamycin (oxytetracycline 200) straight down the hatch (.6 ml peacock, .3 small chicken), plus putting tetracycline soluble in their water.
It has been 9 days. The chicken seemed to be improving, but not the peacock. Then last night, the chicken had a runny nose & gurgling like the peacock. I put acv in the water (no meds) to help clear mucus.
I have Tylan 200 injectable available, but was wondering if I should wait a couple days & feed them probiotics before starting another round of antibiotics.
I don't like giving a shot & prefer oral medication, but can give a shot if absolutely necessary.
On a side note: my local vet has seen a couple chickens b4, but doesn't seem to know much about them. BYC has proven far more valuable than the vet's advice.

I don't know much about peacocks, but I would go ahead and start the Tylan 200. It contains 200 mg of Tylan per ml/cc, so I would give at least 10 mg per pound. Some give more, and some will give it by mouth, although a shot is the best method.

Back
Top Bottom