please help with this dwarf chick!

Cha Cha Chicken

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Okay, I'm raising a replacement silkie chick (Gertrude) for my flock, as I traded one of my larger "bully" chickens at a show. she's around 6 - 7 weeks old and weighs only a little less than 7 oz..... I have a feeling Silkie chicks around this age should be bigger. she has food and water 24/7...... any input on how big your silkie chicks were at this age? any food I can feed her to boost her size/strength? she just looks so feeble... Oh, and I will not cull her.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I feed boiled egg yolk and Kaytee hand feeding formula (for caged birds) to all my new chicks and anything that is sick or ill. I'd think about treating her for cocci as well.

Hello, I don't know how to help besides say this:
If you give a bit more info on what the problem is, then it might help out with your cause! This is from the RULES:

* Be very descriptive in the subjects of your new topics and try to stay on topic as you post. Example: do not say "HELP ME!", but instead say "I'm having a problem with xxx yyy and could use some help"

Hope that helped? Good luck!

Okay:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
-- Silkie chick, unknown gender, (as she really has no comb or other defining features that would lead to gender) 7 weeks old, 7.8 oz.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She grew until she was about 5 wks old, then suddenly stopped.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
2-3 weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
nothing that I know of
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Purina start and grow unmedicated feed, plain water, the odd vegetable
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal, small
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
none, tried to feed her some high protein food
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to treat without taking the chick to a vet
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
pine shavings

Back
Top Bottom