Please help! Worms and impacted crop

Laurenjcx

Hatching
Aug 14, 2023
Hello everyone,
I am new here as I’ve only had my precious hens for 6 weeks but have found all forums extremely helpful so thanks in advance for any replies!

Unfortunately one of my babies (ex battery Rhodey) has impacted/sour crop and worms. After feeling a hard lump that didn’t disappear overnight, I moved her into the house in a large dog create and gave her olive oil mixed with warm water and massaged her crop 3 x a day for the last day. Today I aim to go to the chemist and buy some miconazole for the yeast infection too.
However, this morning before I left for the chemist, I noticed she had pooped in the crate and I saw one long roundworm in her poo as I went to clean it up.
The other hens outside are currently being treated for worms with Flubendazole, but this hen is currently not eating as I’m trying to get her to pass the impacted crop first. When she does pass it and begin eating more again, it’ll be yogurt, diced fruit, scrambled egg etc according to forums. So my question is how can I treat her for worms in the mean time? I don’t want to leave it in case the worms are the cause of the impacted/sour crop but I don’t know how to treat for both when she shouldn’t be eating her pellets? I don’t have enough time to money to buy a second wormer in liquid version either. I’m very confused! Can I mix the Flubendazole with water to form a paste? If so how do I work out the dosage?

Thank you in advance, any help is much appreciated!

You can go ahead and use the Flubendazole mixing it with water or the treats or scrambled eggs you're giving her. Just try to get her to eat a little if you can. Dosage doesnt matter, Flubendazole is a very safe wormer and it would be tough to overdose.

Apple Cider might help with the sour crop - it has always helped my hens. But for the worms maybe some cayenne pepper or chili peppers or deworming medication.

Back
Top Bottom