Please help! Wounded baby.

MrsWagley

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014

I have this poor baby chick that hatched today. A broody hen attacked it. It still moving pretty good and liftin its head, chirping a lot. Does it look like it will survive? What should I do? I have bluekote but didn't know of o should apply it. It's on a heating pad for now until I get my heat light up and running.

Last edited:
Is it just swollen, or is it an open wound? If it is an open wound I would apply an antibacterial ointment to it if you have it. Clean it out the best you can and keep the chick separate.

Thanks. It appears to be open. I saw her right after she hatched and it was not there, came back an hour later to find her bloody and it looks like some flesh is exposed. I got her to drink a bit of water. I will go ahead and apply the blu-kote, the antiseptic made for animals, do you think that will work? I took her inside so she is separated now.

Anything to prevent infection should help. At this point I think that's all you can do unless it becomes infected. If it does you could see a vet and do what they recommend, but if you keep it clean it should be fine. Did it hit the eye?

It looks like they just missed the eyes. It started to open both of them once I cleaned it up and they do not look damaged. Thanks for your help!!

I got three chicks that survived. Ended up separating them from the flock because I had one hen attacking babies. All three are together as of today in their own little brooder, bonding and seem very happy. The wounded chick is even in with them and is recovering nicely. All is well!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom