PLEASE HELP! Wry neck in my chickens?

Hillywu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Indiana, PA
Oh please help! We just started raising chickens last year and all of it went really well except for one Ameraucana hen who injured herself. This summer has not been good. Every couple of weeks we have been having a new hen show up with a wry neck. This is the 3rd one, and she's one of my new, young cochins. I would say she's 10 weeks or so?

I just don't know what to do! I am reading all of the threads on wry neck and treatment (The other two did not survive). I will try to treat this one. She's so sweet and pretty!

My main concern and questions arise from why in the world does this keep happening? Their food is the same (Countryside Organics). Could it be something in the water? We do have well water. It is the same water that we drink. Is this truly wry neck or is there some other kind of chicken disease that manifests itself with symptoms of wry neck?

I just can't stand to see this continue to happen. My heart is just aching and I am in tears over feeling so helpless. Please, please. I hope someone can help to give me some direction.

Don't worry. I also have a hen with wry neck she is now recovering just fine. Thank God. she holds her head up eats herself and walks forward. there is hope. When I first started treatment my bird could not lift its head
Its head was between its legs and it was doing flips she could not even feed herself. Now she is on the road to recovery. First I'll say wry neck can be caused by several things. A peck in the head just right or a vitamin defiency
Also genetics. I'm going to tell you the treatment I used and it really works! First let me say you will need patients
You might need to feed and water your bird as they can't do it themselves right now. The treatment I used is called Alan Stanford's treatment for wry neck. You will find the treatment with exact doses and schedules on his web site.he mentions silkies but it applies to any bird.his web site is browneggblueegg.com once you go to his website on the left hand side is a glossery click on crook neck.there you will find the treatment with doses and a schedule.basically the treatment consists of giving vitamin E capsules vitamin B and selenium to help the bird absorb the vitamin E
Then polyvisol children's liquid vitamin without iron.now most people stop here with the treatment but with Alan Stanford's treatment he calls for one more thing
Predinsone for the brain swelling. You can use human predinsone or get the vet to OK a prescription. I had some for my asmatha so I used mine.these things together following his schedule cured my bird thank God! If you have any questions at all please feel free to private message me and I'll be here to help you in any way I can
Your not alone in this. I just went through the very same thing! It can be cured. Please go to the website I told you about for exact doses and schedule
I'm here for you and will help you every step of the way if you like. Just pm me and I'll be here to help.have patience. She will improve. Hope this helps. Best wishes. I know exactly what your going through. Three weeks ago I was going through this too. three weeks later she is better thank God. this treatment really works! Good luck

Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it! I just found this same treatment regime on another site! I also found that I have 5 mg. pred. leftover from a script for my dog. If I cut that in half and use it, will it work?

She does not want to eat or drink anything right now and does NOT want to open her beak at all. I am very concerned about being able to get enough into her to help her survive, let alone get the medications in. I'm going to keep trying though.

How did you get the meds into your chicken? Should I pulverize the pred and put it in water? Mix it with the poly vi sol?

Thank you! Thank you! for your help!

Absolutely but you will want to cut the predinsone in 1/4 s. this makes that would make 1.5 mg and that would be about perfect. also it will make the pills go farther. I had 4 milligram tablets I cut them in quarters gave one quarter in am and 1/4 in pm.
remember when its time to stop the predinsone
theymust be weened off. You can NOT stop abruptly
Example when weening them off first day 1/4
second day less and less and even crumble it to a
powder. then none. I am so happy you have
everything for the treatment any questions please ask. I'm more than happy to help

Last edited:
When you give the predinsone give it as a pill into there mouth. what I did was wrap her in a blanket and with your left hands press on her left side of the beak until she opens it then with the right hand put the 1/4 of the pill into her mouth you will kind of have to throw it in then I close the beak with the right hand and she swallows

The hardest thing is giving her the pill but remember how important it is.my bird is still on the predinsone until Monday and I just finished giving her pill.basically get there mouth open and get the pill into it. Have patience. It took about three weeks before my bird got better.my poor bird could not even walk forward.now she walks forward and pecks and scratches and holds her head up tall. I'm not sure how badly your bird is affected but mine could barely stay awake for.a feeding.now she's normal again! Hang in there and I'll walk you through everything and what to expect
There is hope! Your bird should recover soon! How old is she? How much does she weigh? If she's reallysSmall you might want to give less than 1/4 of predindone.my birds pretty small but she is not a chick. If yours is a chick give less than 1/4 predinsone. Hope this helps. Any questions I'm here for you OK.

When my bird would not eat in the beginning I would feed water and medicate with a syringe.and give the pill the way I explained. Feed and water About every couple of hours so she stays hydrated.be carefully when syringe watering and feeding as they can as aspirate if it gets down her lungs.this is when you will really need patience. I would dribble small. Amounts of water on the side of her beak then she would open and drink a bit.I was really concerned she wasn't getting enough.I'd squeeze the vitamin into her beak along with the other meds.before long she started to eat with my help holding her food bowl uncurling her neck and waking her up every 60 seconds. The beginning is the roughest time.I'm hopeing after a few doses of predinsone she will be trying to eat withyour help of course. Make sure she does not get dehyddehydration. Please keep me posted on how its going.

Back
Top Bottom