Please Help! Wyandotte Chick Sexing

Week 7! At this point I'm quite convinced my gold laced is a pullet! YAY! However, I still believe my silver laced may be a cockerel. I've heard lots of 'the comb doesn't look that red yet' but it's quite red in person now. In comparison to the other two chicks there is a large difference.

Silver also hasn't feathered evenly and still has bald spots on the neck and chest. Tail feathers are whispy and curly and feathers across the 'shoulders' and back are sharp instead of rounded. Legs haven't thickened and not much in the way of wattles though! Would love to hear any opinions from those who have raised wyandottes from chicks before :) Thanks
Golden 7 weeks.jpg
Silver 7 weeks.jpg

Silver comb 7 weeks.jpg

CF0DF458-1E28-4D9C-8244-14406A0F0A80.jpeg

Hi Bellz15 just wondering if you ended up working out the gender of these chickies. Your silver looks a lot like a couple of mine and I'm holding out faint hope that not all are boys lol
Sorry I know this post is quite old now, but they are BOTH gorgeous pullets. I am so lucky. Hoping their progression may have helped someone :) I am hoping to hatch out some blue laced reds this weekend so may have another round of guessing! Such fun

Attachments

• 118523540_253260319007522_6080104149631753444_n.jpg
    118523540_253260319007522_6080104149631753444_n.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 118465386_354826922342390_3617515384918667110_n.jpg
    118465386_354826922342390_3617515384918667110_n.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 13
Nice to see a fellow West Aussie on the forums! :highfive:
They are both gorgeous! I know that feeling of absolute joy when a chick you've been obsessing about turns out to ACTUALLY be a pullet! :yesss: We have a beautiful golden laced girl too (named Leia)... she's the one in my profile pic! Congratulations on raising two happy, lovely girls! :)

~ Jemima

Nice to see a fellow West Aussie on the forums! :highfive:
They are both gorgeous! I know that feeling of absolute joy when a chick you've been obsessing about turns out to ACTUALLY be a pullet! :yesss: We have a beautiful golden laced girl too (named Leia)... she's the one in my profile pic! Congratulations on raising two happy, lovely girls! :)

~ Jemima
Yes you may be the first WA local I've seen! We are a lucky bunch especially in the middle of this pandemic.

Your golden has gorgeous lacing - may I ask where you got your chooks? Maybe ours are sisters :love

Here's my Golden girl a few days ago with her half-koala, half-chicken baby. "Onwards steed!"

She is all grown up now. Gives me all the feels :hit
119085750_1026547871131019_6742281066645396198_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you may be the first WA local I've seen! We are a lucky bunch especially in the middle of this pandemic.

100%. We'd only just come out of the sunshine and summer when the pandemic hit, which I think was partly why WA (and all of Australia really) didn't get it as bad as the other countries like Italy and England; for them, being in the middle of winter hasn't helped things with staying healthy.

Your golden has gorgeous lacing - may I ask where you got your chooks? Maybe ours are sisters :love

😊 Thanks! We got all of ours at a place called Comps Poultry as day olds.

Here's my Golden girl a few days ago with her half-koala, half-chicken baby. "Onwards steed!"

Awww, so cute! 😍 What breed is the chick? Do you breed your girls? Our Australorp cross used to love perching on her mum's back; which earned her the title rodeo rider.😁 She got a shock though when she tried to jump up again at 6 or 7 weeks and Mum ran off squawking. 🤣

100%. We'd only just come out of the sunshine and summer when the pandemic hit, which I think was partly why WA (and all of Australia really) didn't get it as bad as the other countries like Italy and England; for them, being in the middle of winter hasn't helped things with staying healthy.

😊 Thanks! We got all of ours at a place called Comps Poultry as day olds.

Awww, so cute! 😍 What breed is the chick? Do you breed your girls? Our Australorp cross used to love perching on her mum's back; which earned her the title rodeo rider.😁 She got a shock though when she tried to jump up again at 6 or 7 weeks and Mum ran off squawking. 🤣

Yep so true, I'm just thankful I'm not in poor Victoria!

Mine are from Comps too :) We are not exactly spoiled for choice here but they are a great breeder. I could tell when I saw how pretty Leia was!

My golden has been constantly broody, so I picked up 6 fertilised eggs from a guy in Gnangara I found on Gumtree; 3 Silkies and 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Due to some unfortunate circumstances we ended up with only one of each. When you breed two BLRW's together you can get a splash laced, which is what I think that little chick is :)

I'll post some pics in 3 weeks as I'm obsessive when it comes to speculating gender.
I do love Australorps, we have one and I call her 'EggMaster 2000' I''m sure you can guess why :ya

Back
Top Bottom