please help!

empteacup

Hatching
Dec 10, 2015
My chicken has been breathing noticeably louder for the past few days (kind of sounded like a broken radio/static; rattling?) and yesterday had mucus running our of her nose. Today, in the evening I discovered she started getting swollen around her eyes and they were also quite watery. What kind of disease has these symptoms? I've looked around on the internet and it's hard to pinpoint what exactly she has because every website says different things.

She's also become less active but still lays eggs. She hasn't lost any weight either.

I am very worried because these symptoms apparently mean she might die soon. I am also unsure of where to get help from because there are most likely no vets around my area that treat chickens.

Help would be much appreciated!

hi!

first thing. take a deep breath.

she sounds like she has swelling in her sinuses, leading to puffy eyes. whenever i hear mucus is coming out of their nose, if it is colored or pus looking, think infections, and if it is coming from the nose/ sinuses it is a sinus infection possibly. it is probably draining into her throat and causing crackling noises.

i would call your local house pet veterinarian, and explain your situation. say you are concerned about your pet- and they are usually always willing to help- if there isn't someone better they can refer you to. they pledged to help animals. I say do this in order to get the correct antibiotics. if the first one doesn't help, call another one.

Baytril is a broad spectrum antimicrobial antibiotic that is effective against primary and secondary bacterial and mycoplasma pathogens associated with chronic respiratory disease in chickens

this is a great antibiotic that i have used on my hens myself. I received it from my regular house pet vet, in syringes i injected into their breast tissue. it also comes in pill forms but i am not familiar with dosing in those. I was given 0.01 CC syringes of baytril (10 to be exact) and was instructed to give her one syringe in the breast, just under the skin, each day for 10 days. it cleared everything up!

if you cannot get antibiotics this way, try going to a feed store- they usually have animal antibiotics, shots and water soluble, and you can do some research on the ones they have there, or someone might be able to recommend something right away. either way antibiotics are needed! quickly too.

in the meantime hand feed your hen, high protein food- cooked egg/ greek yogurt to keep up her strength, and use a dropper to feed her water to make sure she is drinking

My chicken has been breathing noticeably louder for the past few days (kind of sounded like a broken radio/static; rattling?) and yesterday had mucus running our of her nose. Today, in the evening I discovered she started getting swollen around her eyes and they were also quite watery. What kind of disease has these symptoms? I've looked around on the internet and it's hard to pinpoint what exactly she has because every website says different things.

She's also become less active but still lays eggs. She hasn't lost any weight either.

I am very worried because these symptoms apparently mean she might die soon. I am also unsure of where to get help from because there are most likely no vets around my area that treat chickens.

Help would be much appreciated! 

@empteacup, welcome to BYC. Where do you live? Do you have any antibiotics?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the info! I plan to see if I can get her to a vet asap. I will be sure to keep your advice in mind - if they can't treat her I will try your other suggestions. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom