Please Help

Clueless141

Hatching
May 31, 2016
Hawaii
Hello, my name is Alex, and I'm having some trouble with my baby chick. I used to have a hen and a few chicks, but everybody (except for the "runt") died. I think either a cat or a mongoose got into the pen somehow. Anyways, my only surviving chick keeps crying. She still eats and everything, she just won't stop chirping. She's running around, trying to find her mom and siblings I guess. What should I do? How do I get her to stop chirping constantly? I have a brother who raises chickens. He has a rooster or two, and a couple of hens (but no chicks). I also have a neighbor with plenty of roosters, hens, and chicks. Would it be better if I give the chick to one of them so she won't feel so lonely? Please help, I'm really feeling clueless right now

A lone chick is not good, as you have mentioned. I'd say get another few chicks about the same age (or younger, since she is a runt) and keep them together. Giving it away may not help, since the other party must have a hen with chicks around the same age (and the hen must accept the new chick - no guarantees). A lone chick, even within a flock will be isolated and not thrive. Personally, if you do not want to keep chickens any longer, and there's nobody around with a hen with chicks, I'd cull it. (sorry if that sounds harsh - just what i would do).

CT

Hi :welcome Alex

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you lost your other hen and chicks. CT has left you some good advice. If you are going to get some other choices to go with her I would put a mirror in with her I till you get them. Often this can make them believe they are not alone. A small stuffed toy also can help.

Good luck with your chick and enjoy BYC :frow

Thank you for the help. I don't think my neighbor has any chicks her age, so I guess that's a bust. I've been spending more time with her; cuddling her or letting her sit on me when I lay down to read, and it helps I think. I guess I'll keep spending as much time with her as possible. If it seems like she isn't getting any better, or if she gets worse, I guess I will have to cull her.

Hello, and thank you for the reply. I don't have a mirror that I can put with her, so I guess I'll pick one up at the store. I did have a few small stuffed animals lying around thankfully, and so far she seems to like them!

They sure do like stuffed animals to cuddle with. Is she warm enough in the brooder? I believe they start out at 95 degrees under the heat lamp, and then lower by 5 degrees each week that passes.

Thank you for the help. I don't think my neighbor has any chicks her age, so I guess that's a bust. I've been spending more time with her; cuddling her or letting her sit on me when I lay down to read, and it helps I think. I guess I'll keep spending as much time with her as possible. If it seems like she isn't getting any better, or if she gets worse, I guess I will have to cull her.

Welcome. While two or more is better, it is possible to raise a singleton. I've done it and so have others. They jut need warmth, food and water and some companionship. You might want to see if you can find a clean feather duster and put in with her. Often a singleton likes to snuggle under it.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Unfortunately, she passed away early this morning. We're not sure why; perhaps an illness we didn't realize she had, or maybe it was a combination of us feeding her too much and her not drinking enough water. Whatever the reason, I just wanted to thank you all for the great advice you've given me. I don't think I'll be getting more chickens (babies or otherwise), at least, not any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom