1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Clueless141, May 31, 2016.

1. Clueless141

Clueless141 New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hawaii
    Hello, my name is Alex, and I'm having some trouble with my baby chick. I used to have a hen and a few chicks, but everybody (except for the "runt") died. I think either a cat or a mongoose got into the pen somehow. Anyways, my only surviving chick keeps crying. She still eats and everything, she just won't stop chirping. She's running around, trying to find her mom and siblings I guess. What should I do? How do I get her to stop chirping constantly? I have a brother who raises chickens. He has a rooster or two, and a couple of hens (but no chicks). I also have a neighbor with plenty of roosters, hens, and chicks. Would it be better if I give the chick to one of them so she won't feel so lonely? Please help, I'm really feeling clueless right now

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    A lone chick is not good, as you have mentioned. I'd say get another few chicks about the same age (or younger, since she is a runt) and keep them together. Giving it away may not help, since the other party must have a hen with chicks around the same age (and the hen must accept the new chick - no guarantees). A lone chick, even within a flock will be isolated and not thrive. Personally, if you do not want to keep chickens any longer, and there's nobody around with a hen with chicks, I'd cull it. (sorry if that sounds harsh - just what i would do).

CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Alex

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you lost your other hen and chicks. CT has left you some good advice. If you are going to get some other choices to go with her I would put a mirror in with her I till you get them. Often this can make them believe they are not alone. A small stuffed toy also can help.

Good luck with your chick and enjoy BYC :frow

4. Clueless141

Clueless141 New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hawaii
    Thank you for the help. I don't think my neighbor has any chicks her age, so I guess that's a bust. I've been spending more time with her; cuddling her or letting her sit on me when I lay down to read, and it helps I think. I guess I'll keep spending as much time with her as possible. If it seems like she isn't getting any better, or if she gets worse, I guess I will have to cull her.

5. Clueless141

Clueless141 New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hawaii
    Hello, and thank you for the reply. I don't have a mirror that I can put with her, so I guess I'll pick one up at the store. I did have a few small stuffed animals lying around thankfully, and so far she seems to like them!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They sure do like stuffed animals to cuddle with. Is she warm enough in the brooder? I believe they start out at 95 degrees under the heat lamp, and then lower by 5 degrees each week that passes.

8. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome. While two or more is better, it is possible to raise a singleton. I've done it and so have others. They jut need warmth, food and water and some companionship. You might want to see if you can find a clean feather duster and put in with her. Often a singleton likes to snuggle under it.

9. Clueless141

Clueless141 New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hawaii
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Unfortunately, she passed away early this morning. We're not sure why; perhaps an illness we didn't realize she had, or maybe it was a combination of us feeding her too much and her not drinking enough water. Whatever the reason, I just wanted to thank you all for the great advice you've given me. I don't think I'll be getting more chickens (babies or otherwise), at least, not any time soon.

10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    I sorry to hear you lost her :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by