1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by signmom3, Jul 4, 2016.

1. signmom3

signmom3 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    We bought these ducks at an auction 2 months ado and they were sold to us as Mallards. What we thought was a male started to get a little white ring around the neck and a little green on top of the head. Now they all look alike. They are small in stature, about the size of a bantam chicken. They must be at least two to three months old now and are not changing in anyway as far as growth or color. Can anyone tell me what they might be please?[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Likely mallards, and the male hasn't molted into nuptial plumage yet. You can tell their genders at this age by their voices however - females are loud and really quack, and males have low, raspy voices.

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hello and [​IMG], so glad to have you join us.

Looks like you have your answer already. I have no experience with ducks, just jumped in to Welcome you.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They look like Mallards to me. The only breed I'm familiar with.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The one posted about is your Drake...Classic colouring of a young male. He will start moulting his baby feathers for his green ones he will have on his head. Your birds are Mallards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by