Please help :'(

rachd1987

Chirping
Jan 27, 2016
I posted yesterday about my ducks coughing, since then one of my girls has gone rapidly downhill. I took her to the vet who prescribed baytril (2.5) for all 3. Rosie who is in a bad way, was breathing badly last night and wouldn't eat or drink. After her first dose of antibiotics, she perked up a bit an hour or so later and ate and drank a little. Ive brought her in my kitchen, the other 2 are still strong amd active but I'mI'm keeping a close eye on them. She was half resting throughout the night, and got up early morning for some food and drink, then went back to sleep. Since then she seems to be struggling again, she's had another dose of antibiotics, has been drinking but not eating.

Please can anyone offer me any advice on what I can do to make her more comfortable, or help the antibiotics do their thing? Could I give her some apple cider vinegar in her water, or would this be too harsh on her stomach if she hasn't eaten much? Would giving her yoghurt as a probiotic / some calcium mess with the antibiotics? I know it will take time for her to improve but I feel so desperate, it's breaking my heart seeing her so poorly :(

Just a thought, she might be stressed from being separated from the others. Ducks don't like being alone. I suggest you put her back with the others and see how she does.

@rachd1987 You might want to think of tube feeding her, In this link it gives info on how to tube feed and alot of other info on caring for a sick flock member. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ergency-and-supportive-care-updated-4-11-2016 scroll down a way to tube feeding.

Hope the antibiotic kick in quick
hugs.gif
She needs to be kept quiet and warm but not over heated with plenty of fresh water and feed. Wait till after she is finished with the antibiotic before using the probiotic you can buy bird probiotics at TSC and some feed stores they get mixed right in the water.

@lomine I gave her a mirror at first so she didn't feel too lonely, and I've let the other 2 come in for a "visit" to see if this cheers her up a little and if seeing them eat would encourage her to do so

@Miss Lydia Thanks for the links, I took her to another vet today after speaking to my original vet and asking some questions, he was very helpful, and the nurses fed her a little bit through a tube, so I'll look into getting the kit and trying it myself if she doesn't start eating on her own

Thanks both for your advice

@lomine I gave her a mirror at first so she didn't feel too lonely, and I've let the other 2 come in for a "visit" to see if this cheers her up a little and if seeing them eat would encourage her to do so

@Miss Lydia Thanks for the links, I took her to another vet today after speaking to my original vet and asking some questions, he was very helpful, and the nurses fed her a little bit through a tube, so I'll look into getting the kit and trying it myself if she doesn't start eating on her own

Thanks both for your advice
Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

She seemed a tiny bit brighter this morning, having her sister's with her seems to be helping. She even had a couple of mouthfuls of peas first thing this morning. I've bought a syringe and catheter in case she doesn't eat anything else, if I can't get baby bird food what would you suggest I use, mashed up pellets?

She seemed a tiny bit brighter this morning, having her sister's with her seems to be helping. She even had a couple of mouthfuls of peas first thing this morning. I've bought a syringe and catheter in case she doesn't eat anything else, if I can't get baby bird food what would you suggest I use, mashed up pellets?
It will work I've heard of other using it. I'd think baby bird food would have more calories and nutrients which she needs now. Great news she is eating a little though. It probably takes a few days for the antibiotics to kick in. I'm glad you had room to bring in her sisters.

Hello, just an update on Rosie, she is really recovering well, the antibiotics seem to have done the job! She has certainly got her appetite back, and has even shouted at me for seconds, so the feeding tube wasn't needed in the end!

Thank you to @lomine and @Miss Lydia for your help in my time of need, this forum is a wonderful place for help when it's needed

Back
Top Bottom