Please help !

Fluke means something that was unlikely to recur, maybe a bad choice of words.

I'm not sure if you should be worried..... a soft shelled egg by itself wouldn't bother me. And maybe it felt weird coming out to her and she's part drama queen?
hu.gif

If you need more help, you might consider starting a new thread in the emergencies section. Her egg count was slowing a bit on you already so even though it might not be a normal time of year for her to be shutting down on you.... Chickens do all kinds of strange things, and softees are one of those signs.... But it could be more than that. With chickens there are many possibilities. Like worms, mites, lice (not same as human), predator scare... to name a few we haven't talked about.

I already started a new thread but no one answered me , I guess everyone is busy with the holidays , Merry Christmas my friend and happy new year
love.gif

well Chicky took a break of laying after this little " incident " but then she laid an egg yesterday and today and she's perfectly healthy , so I'm still wondering what happened to her laying 2 eggs in 4 hours , I guess I will be wondering for ever .
big_smile.png

I already started a new thread but no one answered me , I guess everyone is busy with the holidays , Merry Christmas my friend and happy new year
love.gif

well Chicky took a break of laying after this little " incident " but then she laid an egg yesterday and today and she's perfectly healthy , so I'm still wondering what happened to her laying 2 eggs in 4 hours , I guess I will be wondering for ever .
big_smile.png
Merry Christmas!

Sometimes there are hiccups in the laying system, it just happens. Sometimes the color may not come out right or shell may be soft. Some double or triple yolks. Especially in young layers which she is. Glad she is well!

In production breeds (I don't think she is), they can get egg binding which might be displayed in a similar way and can be very dangerous. It is when they can't pass an egg, which backs everything else up as well. One of the first things people do when they have that issue is give the hen a warm 20 minute Epsom salt bath and then a dark quiet place to rest. After which if she doesn't pass it they must try and help her. If you get to that point though, check out some egg binding forums instead of just taking my limited knowledge on the subject.

Hope you have a great new year, and maybe Chicky will get a friend!
big_smile.png

Sometimes when you start a thread they go by really fast on the first page and then they're gone to never be seen again by anyone. I'm sure the holidays have some away from their computers to. Try not to take it personal and if you need you can always try to "bump" it by posting again. Every time someone posts to it, will come onto the first page for a short time again.

Now since I know Chicky doesn't get layer ration.... tell her not to make a pig out of herself on Christmas goodies!
wink.png

Chicky is full of wonders , literally, LOL
Today she was about to lay in the morning before I go to work so I waited for half an hour and finally she laid a very tiny egg :D it was the size of a pea I guess or a little bit bigger , that was really strange ,she's fine nothing wrong with her and yesterday she laid a normal size egg . So what happened to this little monster? , LOL
oh and her friend will be here next Friday , hopefully .

Last edited:
It won't surprise me if the really big one has more than one yolk. Hopefully her reproductive system will get itself worked out and not be like that forever.

She just likes to keep you guessing. :p

Today my friend got her another chicken , Chicky was a little bit scared of her when she met her , but then when the other chicken tried to eat from the same bowl Chicky kept pecking her and poking her and jump over her and she pulled her tail feathers , lol , she didn't let her eat or do anything . I guess my friend is taking the chicken with her , she's calm and friendly but Chicky isn't, she was about to hurt her with her peck , they've been together since morning and they're not getting along , :(

No, you should keep her!!!!

That is normal pecking order behavior. Usually people introduce grown chickens over a couple weeks with them seeing each other through a fence.

This is only temporary. When adding a new chicken sometimes we add extra feeders and hiding places.

Once they establish a pecking order they will be friends and follow it without major issue. Maybe you can give them more time! I promise it's normal.

No, you should keep her!!!!

That is normal pecking order behavior. Usually people introduce grown chickens over a couple weeks with them seeing each other through a fence.

This is only temporary. When adding a new chicken sometimes we add extra feeders and hiding places.

Once they establish a pecking order they will be friends and follow it without major issue. Maybe you can give them more time! I promise it's normal.

Okay I put them together again but one goes to eat and when she finishes the other goes and eat , they're not eating together , Chicky pulled the other's tail for a while but then she stopped I think because it's getting dark ? And then now they're covered and went to sleep together, I'm afraid that in the morning Chicky will be more aggressive in the day light :( oh and now I heard noises and went to check and they're both awake and Chicky is pecking her in the dark . Is that normal ?

Last edited:
That is normal behaviour! She just wants to make sure the friend knows she is the top chick! It will settle. Though bantam size chickens are usually a little more persistent to go on in this type of behaviour a bit longer than standard size chickens. So just be prepared for that. Bantams are strong and high spirited. They will very often even challenge my full size chickens.

Also did you get her some dirt or much better than dirt is a low Rubbermaid container of sand! She need help digesting her food so she does not have those low days or droopy days. If she works to hard digesting her food she won't be putting as much into her eggs.

She will eat the sand plus sand bath in it! She will love love love it. You will make her one very very happy chicken! Happiness equals better eggs and better digestion!

Back
Top Bottom