Please help!!

95peach

Hatching
Nov 27, 2016
Pennsylvania
I had a racoon or fox attact two nights ago. I lost 3 of my ducks. my two remaining babies won't eat and are drinking very little. I cleaned the wounds and put antibiotic ointment on them. I am so scared I am going to loose fluffy and daffy especially since they won't eat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I have things like this happen before. What I recommend doing is bringing the remaining ducklings indoors in whatever you have either a large enough box (big enough for them to walk in) or even a shower cubical. Put a lot of straw in it to keep them warm and and add a low intensity heat bulb (covering a holder in foul is fine). What you want to get is a darker , warm area which would calm them down. Be sure to raise a water bowl off the floor win fresh, clean water and a the same with the food bowl. Make sure it is available to them at all times. Then I think you should give them large amounts of fresh grass and salad so their wounds can heal quickly since they are packed with protein , plus dried mealworms if available. You may want to hold them for half and hour out of the box each day even if it is while you are watching to just so they feel safe. I find that this is the absolute most effective thing you can do , it takes some effort but really should work! Keep them like this for around 2-3 days until they are calm and eating and drinking then put them back in their hutch but make sure to give it a real good clean to get rid of any smells related to the attack and even just change things around abit even if it is just stapleing cardboard to the inside walls of it. This would hopefully help them forget of the experience but try not to let them see anything that could remind them of this since this can put them in more state of shock. After 1 week of doing this try to get them back to their normal routine, plus try and give their outdoor run a clean or change to get rid of more smells of blood and feathers and the attackers scent. I hope this helped and if you have me anymore questions please feel free to let me know and I will reply as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom