Please help!

ems253

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2017
Hi there!
I believe my ducklings are stressed out but I don't know why. I noticed they have been pulling there feathers out in certain spots. I have pekin crests, and one of my ducks (honey) is a biter and she sometimes nibbles at my other duck (sugar). They're about 3 weeks old and getting bigger by the day. I have them in a Rubbermaid tub that's about 2' 3/4 long, and a 1' 1/2 wide. Could their brooter be too small and that's why they're pulling they're feathers out? Could it be cause they're feathers are coming in soon, and it's natural? Could it be cause honey is pecking at sugar?

Thanks for the help!
1f60a.png
1f630.png

Here's a spot on one of my ducklings and they're also plucking underneath their wings.

Here's a photo of the top of Sugar's head. They were playing in the water last night so they're feathers clump together but this looks a lot more serious than some feathers clustering together. I think (honey the biter) might be pulling out (Sugar's) feathers and that's what's stressing them out, but I'm not too sure.

Thanks for the help!

You don't happen to see any mites or lice do you? Does the skin look irritated? Are they itchy at all?

Do they have access to water daily to bathe in and get cleaned up?

At three weeks old they still need the safety and warmth of the brooder. If I were you I'd definitely move them to something bigger until they are feathered out and ready to go outside. More space will alleviate stress and boredom as well as being more sanitary than living in such tight quarters.

Boredom and too hot...Time to go out and live in their pen.....

Cheers!

Are you sure? Do you think they're too small to go outside yet? They have not grown their feathers in yet.

Tanks for the advice! Much appreciated
1f60a.png

They cant be 3 weeks then....?...They start feathering out pretty good at 3 weeks...Put them out for the day and brood inside at night..They will love it outside...Then they can noodle and play in water all day...:)

Ducklings start getting their feathers at 2-3 weeks and still have a fair amount of down at 4. They can't regulate their own body temperature until 6-8 weeks and until then the remaining down offers no warmth or protection from the elements.

They're definitely not ready to be outside all day only coming in at night at 3 weeks old.

You don't happen to see any mites or lice do you? Does the skin look irritated? Are they itchy at all?

​Do they have access to water daily to bathe in and get cleaned up?

At three weeks old they still need the safety and warmth of the brooder. If I were you I'd definitely move them to something bigger until they are feathered out and ready to go outside. More space will alleviate stress and boredom as well as being more sanitary than living in such tight quarters.

No I don't see any lice or mites. But they do itch I would say, at them selves. I thought maybe they were grooming themselves. And I let them play in water outside of they brooder due to the lack of space and it will get wet and soggy in there. I do need to upgrade their home tonight.
Thanks again!

Ducklings start getting their feathers at 2-3 weeks and still have a fair amount of down at 4. They can't regulate their own body temperature until 6-8 weeks and until then the remaining down offers no warmth or protection from the elements.

Ok that is very helpful! I'm fairly new to raising ducklings so I'm not too sure what I'm doing in some cases.

​They're definitely not ready to be outside all day only coming in at night at 3 weeks old.

I live in Canada and never have lost a Duckling yet....They are a lot tougher than you think...:)....Not my first time raising Ducklings and won't be my last either..
Anyways, they will be fine if out of the wind...The down is their to insulate them like a down filled jacket does people...;)....

Best wishes...

Back
Top Bottom