Thank you for the advice! I won't get the mesh then and just routinely clean out her brooder and where she poops. I am in Hawaii and went to the "Where am I where are you" page and posted to ask for nearby available ducks. Currently waiting for a reply.

Here's hoping you find that adorable duckling a friend!
Until then, I'll bet your little gal is going to just be your best friend ever. She'll imprint on you and love you forever :)

Thanks for the good wishes! I absolutely adore her and she follows me around everywhere. Keeping my fingers crossed for her new friend! :D

Hello Everyone!
Thank you for assisting me through this journey of having my first duck! I have some good news...we finally found her a friend! He's only a day or 2 old but he absolutely loves her. I've attached some pictures for you to enjoy! Also, I originally thought they were mallards but seeing the 2 dark lines on their faces, I thought they were rouens. But now, I'm not so sure, anybody have an idea if they are mallards or rouens?
28311826_1413797008729995_1789628990_o.jpg
28309990_1413797158729980_1826146509_o.jpg
28208133_1413797365396626_1309468700_o.jpg

Hello Everyone!
Thank you for assisting me through this journey of having my first duck! I have some good news...we finally found her a friend! He's only a day or 2 old but he absolutely loves her. I've attached some pictures for you to enjoy! Also, I originally thought they were mallards but seeing the 2 dark lines on their faces, I thought they were rouens. But now, I'm not so sure, anybody have an idea if they are mallards or rouens? View attachment 1268929 View attachment 1268930 View attachment 1268931
I think that they could be either... They sure look a lot alike as adults, the main difference being the sheer size. Rouens are a heavy bird. So much so that the Mallards look like bantams in comparison! I have one Rouen hen and she is a real doll. She is also enormous. I have a seasonal creek/pond that the wild Mallards like to frequent (especially when the feed is out) and they are just so tiny mixed in with the others. It's pretty funny. I hope that they are Rouens so that you won't have them fly away :D

@chickens really, of course I don't mind! They are sooo cute congrats! I hope they are rouens as well since I was told that it was illegal to own/have migratory ducks in Hawai'i but not sure why the pet store is able to sell them if that's the case. In the second picture I have of him, he has some white specks in his fur if you look closely. My other duck has them too, is that normal or is that a cause for concern? Also, my pet store ran out of chick grit but they do have oyster grit. Is that okay for the little one to eat as well? Should I mix the grit with the food or sprinkle them on the food? Thank you!

@chickens really, of course I don't mind! They are sooo cute congrats! I hope they are rouens as well since I was told that it was illegal to own/have migratory ducks in Hawai'i but not sure why the pet store is able to sell them if that's the case. In the second picture I have of him, he has some white specks in his fur if you look closely. My other duck has them too, is that normal or is that a cause for concern? Also, my pet store ran out of chick grit but they do have oyster grit. Is that okay for the little one to eat as well? Should I mix the grit with the food or sprinkle them on the food? Thank you!
Don't give the oyster shell...Only actively laying Hens need it..Thanks for tagging me...:hugsGrit is needed if eating anything other than feed..I was just told by a informative person that Jared baby food peas is high in niacin and great for Ducklings till 2 weeks old..Give it to them twice a day in a separate dish..

Back
Top Bottom