Please help!!!!

Sricher91

Chirping
Mar 22, 2018
Just about a month ago I purchased 2, 5-6 week old chicks from a local breeder. One of them always had diarrhea or wet stools from the day I brought them home but otherwise acted fine. I asked on the FB page and people told me it could be common for chickens to have a variety of different consistency. They are/drank/acted normal so I didn’t think much of it. Now they have blood in there stools! I can add a pic if need be. What is this? Someone please help me what do I do???

They are still inside in a brooder but I have left them in my girls run while my girls free ranged so they could get used to being outside maybe 2-3 times. I also let them meet my girls once for 20ish min but it didn’t go well. I had 2 hens attack them right away so I removed them and brought them back in the brooder. Are my hens going to get sick too? I’m so sad.

Sorry if this is dumb I’m new to chicken owning and didn’t think I’d have to deal with sick chickens so soon :hit

Pic of poop added!

Attachments

• F5007C79-26C0-4E25-90E3-48F4255CA0BE.jpeg
    F5007C79-26C0-4E25-90E3-48F4255CA0BE.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 6
That is likely coccidiosis. Treatment is Corid, available at most livestock feed/supply stores, tractor supply, etc. Look in the livestock section. It can be powder or liquid, either is fine. Start treatment as soon as you can, it can progress quickly. Treatment chart is below, use the severe outbreak dosing, and it needs to be the only water available to them during treatment. Do not give vitamin supplements during treatment.
Also, give each of them some orally in addition to the medicated water, to get the medication in them quickly, dosing is here for that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

That is likely coccidiosis. Treatment is Corid, available at most livestock feed/supply stores, tractor supply, etc. Look in the livestock section. It can be powder or liquid, either is fine. Start treatment as soon as you can, it can progress quickly. Treatment chart is below, use the severe outbreak dosing, and it needs to be the only water available to them during treatment. Do not give vitamin supplements during treatment.
Also, give each of them some orally in addition to the medicated water, to get the medication in them quickly, dosing is here for that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

View attachment 1500183

Should I give it to my other chickens too?

That is your choice. If your older birds are acting fine, you may choose to just watch for any signs of illness. If you want to treat them all, it's safe to do so. The chicks may have picked up the coccidia from your property, it's common in young birds and chicks and in birds that have been moved to new ground. It's also possible for new birds to bring in a new strain with them. Coccida are everywhere in the environment, and this is one of the most common illnesses. When raising chicks it's always a good idea to have Corid on hand just in case. I just keep it in my first aid kit. In older birds the first symptom is often a change in droppings or they will be lethargic and sit around fluffed up and not want to eat or drink. Normally in my flock, I treat all birds that are kept together, at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom