Please help!

Llaison

Hatching
Nov 15, 2018
hello, I have a Brahma rooster who just this morning I opened the door to one of my chickens houses and he rolled out on his back. At first I just thought that he was just sleeping resting up against the door and fell over when I opened it until I saw that at the base of his comb it was all bloody, nothing too bad just something that looked like it could have just been from fighting with the other roosters. I only started becoming very concerned when he let me approach and pick him up to inspect the wound on this head. (My chickens tend to be quite skiddish) I noticed he was acting different than his usual self so I set him down and that’s when things took a turn for the worse. He couldn’t walk or even stand at all. He would sometimes try to but never could. I immediately put him in quarintine just in case but he’s eating and drinking just fine. I’m very concerned/scared because this isn’t the first time this has happened. But it only happens to my Brahmas which I find strange. I should also include that he is not fully grown. The one Brahma hen actually died from this. We live in the northeast so right now it’s almost winter and the temperatures are getting very low. I don’t know if this is worms, a disease, etc.

someone more experienced can diagnose but i do have some questions,
how many roosters and hens do you have?
are they free range?
How big is their coop?
Have they been vaccinated?
what do you feed them?
and you can give him some probiotic water like Save-A-Chick for now

Worms don't cause paralysis. Avian viruses do. Marek's and leucosis are the two of the most common. If this is the cause, your flock all are carrying it.

Marek's most often strikes half grown chickens in their first few months. Leucosis often manifests itself in chickens in their first year that have been hatched within the flock because this virus passes to the chick in the egg from the egg donor. I suspect this virus is the one doing the dirty work in your flock.

I have lymphotic leucosis (LL) in my flock. My Brahmas have been heavily targeted by it. Most commercial hatcheries have bred resistance to LL in their most popular breeds. Somehow Brahmas have been left out.

Another cause could be your chickens get into a toxic substance from time to time and it has crippled and killed them. These include moldy feed or compost pile and machinery sitting around leaking toxic fluids such as hydraulic fluid.

The best way to nail down what's attacking your flock is to have a necropsy done on this rooster if/when he dies.

If you suspect a toxic substance, give him a capsule of activated charcoal or do a molasses flush. Then treat him daily with vitamin E 400iu and B-complex.

But if it's a virus such as Marek's or leucosis, there is no treatment.

Do you think he was pecked or injured on his head? Being lame or unable to stand might invite pecking from the other chickens, or he might have susstained an injury. Marek comes to mind. But it can best be diagnosed after death by a necropsy done by a state poultry lab. I don’t think that avian lymphoid leukosis will cause paralysis, but I am not an expert.

I would place him in a dog crate with food and water, where both he and the other chickens can see each other. Put a towel or puppy pad under him. Think about making him a chicken sling inside or separate form the dog crate. That way you can get him up and out of his droppings, and place a food and water container in front of him. Here are some examples of slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

hello, I have a Brahma rooster who just this morning I opened the door to one of my chickens houses and he rolled out on his back. At first I just thought that he was just sleeping resting up against the door and fell over when I opened it until I saw that at the base of his comb it was all bloody, nothing too bad just something that looked like it could have just been from fighting with the other roosters. I only started becoming very concerned when he let me approach and pick him up to inspect the wound on this head. (My chickens tend to be quite skiddish) I noticed he was acting different than his usual self so I set him down and that’s when things took a turn for the worse. He couldn’t walk or even stand at all. He would sometimes try to but never could. I immediately put him in quarintine just in case but he’s eating and drinking just fine. I’m very concerned/scared because this isn’t the first time this has happened. But it only happens to my Brahmas which I find strange. I should also include that he is not fully grown. The one Brahma hen actually died from this. We live in the northeast so right now it’s almost winter and the temperatures are getting very low. I don’t know if this is worms, a disease, etc.
Can you post some photos of his wounds?
How many roosters was he housed with?

someone more experienced can diagnose but i do have some questions,
how many roosters and hens do you have?
are they free range?
How big is their coop?
Have they been vaccinated?
what do you feed them?
and you can give him some probiotic water like Save-A-Chick for now
. I have about 70 birds.they are not free range but have a very big pen I feed them mostly layers feed they are not vaccinated

Back
Top Bottom