Please Help

TheRealWitwiki

Songster
Mar 26, 2019
NE Maryland
I came home today and my youngest chicken was laying on her side in the pen up against the fence with her eyes closed. Her name is Winter and I have been her Dad since day one. She hatched about 22 weeks ago. She has been fine no signs of illness. She never goes in the pen while the other chickens are in there. I’m shocked to find her like this. I moved her into the coop separated from everyone and gave her fresh water. Her body is limp and she won’t open her eyes. She lays on her side and her one leg is curled under her and the other one shakes. She has been like this for a few hours. I text my wife and she said it sounds like she is stressed out. The other chickens pick on her that’s why she avoids them but I didn’t see any blood or missing feathers. What should I do if I can do anything???

She never goes in the pen while the other chickens are in there.

Sounds like she may be getting bullied badly. If the other birds are keeping her from using the pen, are you sure that she's been getting food and water? Sometimes more dominant chickens can starve out the ones in the bottom of the pecking order.

She has her own food and water on top of the nesting boxes where she hangs out until I open the pen and let other chickens free range then she comes out into the pen and eats and drinks their food

Back
Top Bottom