Please Help )):

viennaproto

Songster
May 9, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have a sad post today but I also need lots of help! Today I moved into my parents house in Rhode Island from New York. I was setting up my ducklings brooder when their heat lamp fell into the brooder and hit one of my snowy call ducklings. At first, she could barely stand and seemed very rattled up. I thought she may have hurt her foot because it seemed like she was having a hard time balancing. Now, I think she got bonked in the head because she seems to be walking a little better. I gave her some electrolyte water and a drop or two of vitamin b complex mixed with water. She will not eat any food and her poop is a pure white color. I am very worried, is she going to be okay? What else can I do for her? She is now sleeping with her siblings (they do not seem to be pushing her/stepping on her or making it worse). I tried to feed her crumbles in warm water but she would not eat it and she would not eat yogurt either. I am so worried about my little ginger ))): Any and all help is appreciated.

Maybe try to feed her soft food through an eye dropper? She might just need to rest, try cuddling her and keeping her separate from the others for a few hours/until you can tell if she's getting better, worse, or is stable.
I tried, but she won't even open her mouth. She seems fine other than that and not walking around much and laying down. Yes, I will cuddle her and separate her for a little thank you.

I wouldn’t worry about her eating until she gets up on her own will she move around with the other ducklings? Trying to feed one through a dropper or syringe can cause aspiration if they aren’t very coherent.
No, she stays on the towel and sits there while the other ducklings eat and mess around in their water. She is cuddling and sleeping with them now.

Anyone else?? She seems very uncomfortable and is not moving around/active and not eating or drinking on her own.

So let’s assume there is some sort of neurological damage since there has been a noticeable alteration in her behavior right after the heat lamp hit her head,( Lack of appetite may indicate there has been some damage to the cranial nerves). Treatment for this is only supportive, so set her in a quiet, dimly lit area for now, and limit any handling to cause any further stress. I would suggest keeping her with the other duckling’s just make it so they can see each other but can’t touch unless they appear to be getting along quite well. Hopefully, she’ll be better by tomorrow.

So let’s assume there is some sort of neurological damage since there has been a noticeable alteration in her behavior right after the heat lamp hit her head,( Lack of appetite may indicate there has been some damage to the cranial nerves). Treatment for this is only supportive, so set her in a quiet, dimly lit area for now, and limit any handling to cause any further stress. I would suggest keeping her with the other duckling’s just make it so they can see each other but can’t touch unless they appear to be getting along quite well. Hopefully, she’ll be better by tomorrow.
If she's not eating/drinking by tomorrow morning she'll need to be crop fed.
okay, that is what i have been thinking as well. I will do this. I turned all the lights off in the room and put her on a towel.I will refrain from handling her to prevent and further stress. Is the heat lamp okay, or is that too much light for her? I have never crop fed before so I will come back tommorow for more advice on that if she hasn’t eaten.

Back
Top Bottom