Please help!!!

Pics

Threechimkens

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2021
Canada
I have two hens and both of them seem sick! Today I saw them standing there in the coop (it was snowing!) and not very active. I felt their crop was full but squishy. I saw online what to do so I gave apple cider vinegar water, and I tried to massage the crop and tilt the chicken forward so it could throw up. But that didn’t work cuz it didn’t. What should I do!? I checked there’s no bugs in them. I gave some vet rx to them but nothing changed! Please help ASAP!

I'm so sorry. I can't offer much help, but I know how it feels to have a sick chook. A few of my ladies have moved on, and they had the same symptoms. Hopefully I'm wrong, and I'm sure someone out there can offer you advice that I didn't have. Sorry again. :hugs
It’s okay. I’m so worried about them because it’s only them who are sick. The other hen seemed fine. The crop is firm and she just in the coop with the other hens.

They are like drilled holes and we open the door like 2 inches
Idk if I should open the whole door. Since our coop is actually predator proof for the run. And also I can’t add the windows yet because it’s winter and the construction worker is not available at the moment

It doesn't sound like enough ventilation to me. Drilled holes and a cracked door isn't ventilation. I wager most respiratory problems this time of year are due to lack of fresh air with poultry keepers who are afraid their birds are cold.
Where are you located? Is it double digits below zero F?
Open the door all the way if it is predator proof.
Oxygen is the most beneficial thing you can give your chickens.

I have two hens and both of them seem sick! Today I saw them standing there in the coop (it was snowing!) and not very active. I felt their crop was full but squishy. I saw online what to do so I gave apple cider vinegar water, and I tried to massage the crop and tilt the chicken forward so it could throw up. But that didn’t work cuz it didn’t. What should I do!? I checked there’s no bugs in them. I gave some vet rx to them but nothing changed! Please help ASAP!
Honestly, it’s not a lot. We were planning to ad them a window but stull trying to figure how. We only have a few holes and we keep the door a bit open.
Can you post some photos of the hens that are sick, their poop and of your coop/run?

You have 2 that seem sick but how many other birds do you have that are acting well?
What do you feed including treats?
How old are they?
Do they lay eggs?

Re-Check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink - the crops should be empty. If they aren't, then let us know what they feel like. Read over the article linked below, this will help you treat crop symptoms if you need to.

I agree if ventilation is poor in their housing, then it should be corrected.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom