Please help!!!

Pics

Threechimkens

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2021
Canada
I have two hens and both of them seem sick! Today I saw them standing there in the coop (it was snowing!) and not very active. I felt their crop was full but squishy. I saw online what to do so I gave apple cider vinegar water, and I tried to massage the crop and tilt the chicken forward so it could throw up. But that didn’t work cuz it didn’t. What should I do!? I checked there’s no bugs in them. I gave some vet rx to them but nothing changed! Please help ASAP!

I have two hens and both of them seem sick! Today I saw them standing there in the coop (it was snowing!) and not very active. I felt their crop was full but squishy. I saw online what to do so I gave apple cider vinegar water, and I tried to massage the crop and tilt the chicken forward so it could throw up. But that didn’t work cuz it didn’t. What should I do!? I checked there’s no bugs in them. I gave some vet rx to them but nothing changed! Please help ASAP!
Honestly, it’s not a lot. We were planning to ad them a window but stull trying to figure how. We only have a few holes and we keep the door a bit open.
Can you post some photos of the hens that are sick, their poop and of your coop/run?

You have 2 that seem sick but how many other birds do you have that are acting well?
What do you feed including treats?
How old are they?
Do they lay eggs?

Re-Check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink - the crops should be empty. If they aren't, then let us know what they feel like. Read over the article linked below, this will help you treat crop symptoms if you need to.

I agree if ventilation is poor in their housing, then it should be corrected.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

They arent active just staying in their coop.

Chickens sometimes just sit in the coop because there's a reason they don't want to go outside. And if they're staying inside, they might just sit there and look at things instead of being active.

So I would check whether anything has changed recently:

More snow on the ground? Snow falling?
Colder? More windy?
Warmer? Muddy or wet or stinky?

A hawk flying overhead? Or an airplane or helicopter?
A dog or wild animal near the coop?
A noisy snowblower, or a tarp that flaps in the breeze?
Kids sledding downhill and yelling?
(Some chickens care about those kinds of things, and some chickens do not care.)

For the crop issues, my first thought would be to keep layer feed and plain water constantly available, but no treats or scraps or scratch or other things to eat. (Oyster shell and grit would be fine too.) Many minor issues sort themselves out just fine if you give the chicken a day or two. And sometimes trying many treatments at once can make things worse instead of better.

But I'm not the one seeing them in person, so my ideas might not be right ;)

It doesn't sound like enough ventilation to me. Drilled holes and a cracked door isn't ventilation. I wager most respiratory problems this time of year are due to lack of fresh air with poultry keepers who are afraid their birds are cold.
Where are you located? Is it double digits below zero F?
Open the door all the way if it is predator proof.
Oxygen is the most beneficial thing you can give your chickens.

Sure I will later today.
I have 3 birds. All three seems sick now. They arent active just staying in their coop. The 2 white hens are like 6-7 months and laying eggs. The younger one is also a bit sick but crop isn’t very squishy is not laying and 5-6 months I thibk. I feed them mealworms, corn grits and rice and lettuce/kale/cabbage as treats and layer feed as the food. And once my parents accidentally gave them raw beans I told them not to and it’s dangerous for them
today morning I gave them warm apple cider vinegar water with layer feed. They didn’t eat any but they drank lots of water. Their crop feels squishy but not as full as yesterday. It’s a bit flat but squishy.
Drinking lots of water is often a way for a bird to try to clear their crop.
I would make water available and a little of their layer feed. Cut out any extras/treats for the time being.
Do your birds have access to ground right now and it's loose enough that they can find suitable grit (small rocks/pebbles) to help them process foods?

I understand it's very cold where you are so do they have access to unfrozen water for most of their day?

What are your current temperatures?

Poop looks fairly normal to me. If the ground is frozen, then I would be inclined to make poultry grit (crushed granite) available free choice since they may not be able to find to scratch suitable grit.

Check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink - the crops should be empty - not squishy.

IF your run is secure enough against predators getting into the coop at night and you are comfortable leaving the door partially or all the way open for more ventilation then consider that.

I think a lot of your problem is they are having some crop issues. Like I say, cut out the scraps/treats until you get the crop problem resolved. Do may plenty of water available and they can have access to a little layer feed.

I'm so sorry. I can't offer much help, but I know how it feels to have a sick chook. A few of my ladies have moved on, and they had the same symptoms. Hopefully I'm wrong, and I'm sure someone out there can offer you advice that I didn't have. Sorry again. :hugs
It’s okay. I’m so worried about them because it’s only them who are sick. The other hen seemed fine. The crop is firm and she just in the coop with the other hens.

Back
Top Bottom