Please help!!!

It doesn't sound like enough ventilation to me. Drilled holes and a cracked door isn't ventilation. I wager most respiratory problems this time of year are due to lack of fresh air with poultry keepers who are afraid their birds are cold.
Where are you located? Is it double digits below zero F?
Open the door all the way if it is predator proof.
Oxygen is the most beneficial thing you can give your chickens.
I’m in Canada so sometimes it’s pretty cold. But I can open the whole door if it’s okay

Can you post some photos of the hens that are sick, their poop and of your coop/run?

You have 2 that seem sick but how many other birds do you have that are acting well?
What do you feed including treats?
How old are they?
Do they lay eggs?

Re-Check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink - the crops should be empty. If they aren't, then let us know what they feel like. Read over the article linked below, this will help you treat crop symptoms if you need to.

I agree if ventilation is poor in their housing, then it should be corrected.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Sure I will later today.
I have 3 birds. All three seems sick now. They arent active just staying in their coop. The 2 white hens are like 6-7 months and laying eggs. The younger one is also a bit sick but crop isn’t very squishy is not laying and 5-6 months I thibk. I feed them mealworms, corn grits and rice and lettuce/kale/cabbage as treats and layer feed as the food. And once my parents accidentally gave them raw beans I told them not to and it’s dangerous for them
today morning I gave them warm apple cider vinegar water with layer feed. They didn’t eat any but they drank lots of water. Their crop feels squishy but not as full as yesterday. It’s a bit flat but squishy.

Sure I will later today.
I have 3 birds. All three seems sick now. They arent active just staying in their coop. The 2 white hens are like 6-7 months and laying eggs. The younger one is also a bit sick but crop isn’t very squishy is not laying and 5-6 months I thibk. I feed them mealworms, corn grits and rice and lettuce/kale/cabbage as treats and layer feed as the food. And once my parents accidentally gave them raw beans I told them not to and it’s dangerous for them
today morning I gave them warm apple cider vinegar water with layer feed. They didn’t eat any but they drank lots of water. Their crop feels squishy but not as full as yesterday. It’s a bit flat but squishy.
Drinking lots of water is often a way for a bird to try to clear their crop.
I would make water available and a little of their layer feed. Cut out any extras/treats for the time being.
Do your birds have access to ground right now and it's loose enough that they can find suitable grit (small rocks/pebbles) to help them process foods?

I understand it's very cold where you are so do they have access to unfrozen water for most of their day?

I would make water available and a little of their layer feed. Cut out any extras/treats for the time being.
Do your birds have access to ground right now and it's loose enough that they can find suitable grit (small rocks/pebbles) to help them process foods?

I understand it's very cold where you are so do they have access to unfrozen water for most of their day?
Their run is covered with straw and the rest of the ground is snow. I give them mealworms today and their. Layer feed with some kitchen scraps. I go outside 3-4 times a day and change the water. Also I will leave the door open tonight and lock the run if that’s ok?

Can you post some photos of the hens that are sick, their poop and of your coop/run?

You have 2 that seem sick but how many other birds do you have that are acting well?
What do you feed including treats?
How old are they?
Do they lay eggs?

Re-Check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink - the crops should be empty. If they aren't, then let us know what they feel like. Read over the article linked below, this will help you treat crop symptoms if you need to.

I agree if ventilation is poor in their housing, then it should be corrected.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Here are the photos. She was just standing there

Attachments

• C4B996FB-EB18-496A-9E29-7B2659054115.jpeg
    C4B996FB-EB18-496A-9E29-7B2659054115.jpeg
    880.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 79B4E640-1374-4EC2-BCA1-C049BC4966F2.jpeg
    79B4E640-1374-4EC2-BCA1-C049BC4966F2.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 11

Here more pictures my younger hen is digging in the coop

Attachments

• 3A722FAA-BFF4-4FB6-BECE-37BE8AE73FCB.jpeg
    3A722FAA-BFF4-4FB6-BECE-37BE8AE73FCB.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 10
  • B3FD2711-323E-49E0-81B1-C8CC314B2601.jpeg
    B3FD2711-323E-49E0-81B1-C8CC314B2601.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 8
What are your current temperatures?

Poop looks fairly normal to me. If the ground is frozen, then I would be inclined to make poultry grit (crushed granite) available free choice since they may not be able to find to scratch suitable grit.

Check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink - the crops should be empty - not squishy.

IF your run is secure enough against predators getting into the coop at night and you are comfortable leaving the door partially or all the way open for more ventilation then consider that.

I think a lot of your problem is they are having some crop issues. Like I say, cut out the scraps/treats until you get the crop problem resolved. Do may plenty of water available and they can have access to a little layer feed.

What are your current temperatures?

Poop looks fairly normal to me. If the ground is frozen, then I would be inclined to make poultry grit (crushed granite) available free choice since they may not be able to find to scratch suitable grit.

Check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink - the crops should be empty - not squishy.

IF your run is secure enough against predators getting into the coop at night and you are comfortable leaving the door partially or all the way open for more ventilation then consider that.

I think a lot of your problem is they are having some crop issues. Like I say, cut out the scraps/treats until you get the crop problem resolved. Do may plenty of water available and they can have access to a little layer feed.
Okay. Would oyster shells work instead of the granite? Since we don’t have any. So I only give them water and layer feed nothing else? And what if their crop is squishy in the morning? What would I do? Do I still feed them if their crop is squishy? And is it because of the ventilation that makes the crop squishy?

They arent active just staying in their coop.

Chickens sometimes just sit in the coop because there's a reason they don't want to go outside. And if they're staying inside, they might just sit there and look at things instead of being active.

So I would check whether anything has changed recently:

More snow on the ground? Snow falling?
Colder? More windy?
Warmer? Muddy or wet or stinky?

A hawk flying overhead? Or an airplane or helicopter?
A dog or wild animal near the coop?
A noisy snowblower, or a tarp that flaps in the breeze?
Kids sledding downhill and yelling?
(Some chickens care about those kinds of things, and some chickens do not care.)

For the crop issues, my first thought would be to keep layer feed and plain water constantly available, but no treats or scraps or scratch or other things to eat. (Oyster shell and grit would be fine too.) Many minor issues sort themselves out just fine if you give the chicken a day or two. And sometimes trying many treatments at once can make things worse instead of better.

But I'm not the one seeing them in person, so my ideas might not be right ;)

Okay. Would oyster shells work instead of the granite? Since we don’t have any. So I only give them water and layer feed nothing else? And what if their crop is squishy in the morning? What would I do? Do I still feed them if their crop is squishy? And is it because of the ventilation that makes the crop squishy?
Oyster shell is soluble and not suitable for grit.

I would only let them have water and layer feed today. Watch to see that they are drinking well.
IF the crops are squishy in the morning (before they have ate/drank anything) then I would follow the instructions in the article linked below to begin treatment.
It's very unusual to have all birds with crop symptoms so when possible get some granite grit.
Cut out the scraps/treats for now until you can get this resolved.
I would also look inside their beaks just to make sure there's no canker, mucous or lesions.

Generally poor ventilation does not make a squishy crop but poor ventilation can contribute to health issues, especially respiratory illness (symptoms).

Back
Top Bottom