Baby chick in bad shape

I have no other chicks .One feed store chicks looked sickly so I didn't want to risk that .Tractor supply rules are you must buy 4 and The place I got him have no others .He pecked at the feed at first but because of his funky leg he has a hard time .And no he cannot walk I have to help him.
I attached pics ..but my concern is his crop that is squishy .
Can he open his eyes?

Awww, he’s precious! Are you concerned he may have a sour crop issue? I’ve never had a chick crop issue, so I’m tagging @Wyorp Rock. Trying to get you some help quickly.
Yes I believe he does have sour crop .I did give him some apple cider vinegar with water .I only gave him a few drops because he really didn't want it but then seemed to have issues swallowing it One of the pics I tried to show his crop it's above my thumb . He's eager to eat and yesterday was a good day . This afternoon was good but now I noticed his squishy crop .
Thankyou so very much for reaching out to help me .

At first I had trouble getting it to eat but found a site that said to give it egg yolk which I did and the chick seemed fine .Today again it did not want to eat so a different site said plain yogurt which I did and again he loved it but now I noticed his crop is soft and squishy very noticable.

my concern is his crop that is squishy .
I think the squishy crop is because the chick is not eating normally.

If the chick only eats squishy stuff (like yoghurt), then the crop will feel squishy. I would not expect that to change unless you are able to get the chick eating normally.

(I do not have much experience with treating problems in chicks. But I have raised quite a few chicks that did not have problems, and I know that what is in the crop has a big effect on how it feels.)

Yes I believe he does have sour crop .I did give him some apple cider vinegar with water .I only gave him a few drops because he really didn't want it but then seemed to have issues swallowing it One of the pics I tried to show his crop it's above my thumb . He's eager to eat and yesterday was a good day . This afternoon was good but now I noticed his squishy crop .
Thankyou so very much for reaching out to help me .
I mean he's chirping traffic really loud right now like he's hungry .But if it's sour crop I cannot feed him for 24 hours according to what I read

I think the squishy crop is because the chick is not eating normally.

If the chick only eats squishy stuff (like yoghurt), then the crop will feel squishy. I would not expect that to change unless you are able to get the chick eating normally.

(I do not have much experience with treating problems in chicks. But I have raised quite a few chicks that did not have problems, and I know that what is in the crop has a big effect on how it feels.)
but he will not eat the feed ..I tried adding water to it even ..

Welcome To BYC

Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench? If you do, then I'd give him a couple of drops twice a day.

Soak the chick starter/feed in warm water for about 30 minutes and let is soften into a mush. See if he can manage to eat it then.

If not, then give the egg.

Sometimes chicks with leg issues have something else going on and they fail to thrive. I hope this is not the case.

Keep the chick warm and do the best you can.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench? If you do, then I'd give him a couple of drops twice a day.

Soak the chick starter/feed in warm water for about 30 minutes and let is soften into a mush. See if he can manage to eat it then.

If not, then give the egg.

Sometimes chicks with leg issues have something else going on and they fail to thrive. I hope this is not the case.

Keep the chick warm and do the best you can.
No. I don't have that .I will go to a feed store and see if they have any .
I couldnt get him to eat the starter feed . But I will soak it and try it .Give it the egg ? meaning the egg yolk ? .
and Thank you

Yes, egg yolk if he's not able to handle the wet feed.

Is he pooping? He's very tiny.
Yes he's pooping. There was not a lot today but it is in his bed .I am keeping him warm and I used a stuff hippo to help him balance in his bed.
Yes he's very tiny . I am soaking his food and will see if I have any success getting him to eat it .
I feed him every couple hours during the day or try to I'm assuming at night it's the same ?

Back
Top Bottom