Baby chick in bad shape

JCummings115

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2024
Hello .
I picked up a baby silky chick at a feed store it's leg was injured and it was much smaller than the others of the same breed . At first I had trouble getting it to eat but found a site that said to give it egg yolk which I did and the chick seemed fine .Today again it did not want to eat so a different site said plain yogurt which I did and again he loved it but now I noticed his crop is soft and squishy very noticable. So again I search Google and a site said apple cider vinegar in water .It's a small chicken so I only added about 4 drops of apple cider vinegar to a 40 ml cup and slowly gave the baby chick a little ..He's a fighter but once I over come one hurdle I hit another .
I need help .I'm no stranger to bottle feeding or syringe feeding but I'm getting frustrated that I'm not doing anything right .Also his crop seemed to sit more to the higher side of the shoulder which I'm not sure is normal .Please help and advise .
Thank you

Do you have any photos of your chick? Do you have any other chicks with him? Are you able to get him to eat any chick feed? Is he able to walk at all with the leg injury?

Do you have any photos of your chick? Do you have any other chicks with him? Are you able to get him to eat any chick feed? Is he able to walk at all with the leg injury?
I have no other chicks .One feed store chicks looked sickly so I didn't want to risk that .Tractor supply rules are you must buy 4 and The place I got him have no others .He pecked at the feed at first but because of his funky leg he has a hard time .And no he cannot walk I have to help him.
I attached pics ..but my concern is his crop that is squishy .

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_200455979.jpg
    IMG_20240302_200455979.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240302_200533663_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240302_200533663_HDR.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240302_200610743_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240302_200610743_HDR.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240302_201031132_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240302_201031132_HDR.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 14
I have no other chicks .One feed store chicks looked sickly so I didn't want to risk that .Tractor supply rules are you must buy 4 and The place I got him have no others .He pecked at the feed at first but because of his funky leg he has a hard time .And no he cannot walk I have to help him.
I attached pics ..but my concern is his crop that is squishy .
Awww, he’s precious! Are you concerned he may have a sour crop issue? I’ve never had a chick crop issue, so I’m tagging @Wyorp Rock. Trying to get you some help quickly.

Hello .
I picked up a baby silky chick at a feed store it's leg was injured and it was much smaller than the others of the same breed . At first I had trouble getting it to eat but found a site that said to give it egg yolk which I did and the chick seemed fine .Today again it did not want to eat so a different site said plain yogurt which I did and again he loved it but now I noticed his crop is soft and squishy very noticable. So again I search Google and a site said apple cider vinegar in water .It's a small chicken so I only added about 4 drops of apple cider vinegar to a 40 ml cup and slowly gave the baby chick a little ..He's a fighter but once I over come one hurdle I hit another .
I need help .I'm no stranger to bottle feeding or syringe feeding but I'm getting frustrated that I'm not doing anything right .Also his crop seemed to sit more to the higher side of the shoulder which I'm not sure is normal .Please help and advise .
Thank you
Get save a chick. Needs vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom