Please help!!!

I find this website:
https://www.tscstores.com/
It's got a spot to select what city you're in.
I'm not finding grit on that website--odd, I would think USA chickens and Canadian chickens have the same needs, so I don't know why they would sell it in the US but not in Canada.

Probably a good choice. As long as it says it's grit for chickens, and either is granite or claims to be better than granite, I think it's the right kind of stuff.

https://www.tscstores.com/StoreLocator.aspx

You can find the nearest Ontario TSC locations here. There are some small co-OP farm stores in cities where TSC hasn't completely ruined there businesses, but they can be hard to track down. The TSC nearest to me doesn't actually carry grit, but they can order it for you.

Could I only feed then layer feed and mealworms and water for now since we cannot have grit rn because the shipping is a lot and my parents won’t buy it. They said that during the summer, there will be granite grit in the backyard since we have rocks in the backyard and lots of dirt. And soil

Could I only feed then layer feed and mealworms and water for now since we cannot have grit rn because the shipping is a lot and my parents won’t buy it. They said that during the summer, there will be granite grit in the backyard since we have rocks in the backyard and lots of dirt. And soil

Yes, that should work fine.

You have no TSC close either? That's a shame, its already hard enough for backyard chicken keepers to get necessary supplies in this province. You should start making a list of supplies to stock up on for next time. If you call the nearest TSC, you can ask them to order in grit for you for when your parents are willingtomake the trip, but they're webpage is horribly out dated and it's very, very common for them not to have an item on their site that they definitely sell in store! 🙄

I had to pick up grit in a panic a few years back, I can't remember the brand, or even know if the store chain still exists, but I was able to find grit for large exotic birds in a pet shop.

We've got a cold snap coming, supposed to be down to -30c in some areas (including mine) tonight. I hope your crop problem clears up soon, we've been lucky this winter so far, but on these really crispy cold nights I like to toss outa bit of cracked corn make sure my girls crops are good and full so they can keep their little internal furnaces running on high all night. Chickens put out a LOT of body heat.

Let me give you a bit of comfort though, I'm in Ontario too, and I've never had a chicken die because it was too cold in the unheated coop. Good luck! 🙂

You have no TSC close either? That's a shame, its already hard enough for backyard chicken keepers to get necessary supplies in this province. You should start making a list of supplies to stock up on for next time. If you call the nearest TSC, you can ask them to order in grit for you for when your parents are willingtomake the trip, but they're webpage is horribly out dated and it's very, very common for them not to have an item on their site that they definitely sell in store! 🙄

I had to pick up grit in a panic a few years back, I can't remember the brand, or even know if the store chain still exists, but I was able to find grit for large exotic birds in a pet shop.

We've got a cold snap coming, supposed to be down to -30c in some areas (including mine) tonight. I hope your crop problem clears up soon, we've been lucky this winter so far, but on these really crispy cold nights I like to toss outa bit of cracked corn make sure my girls crops are good and full so they can keep their little internal furnaces running on high all night. Chickens put out a LOT of body heat.

Let me give you a bit of comfort though, I'm in Ontario too, and I've never had a chicken die because it was too cold in the unheated coop. Good luck! 🙂
Thanks for the advice! I left the coop door open but I’m pretty sure the run is predator proof. Also, the grit, is it urgent to get it right away?

I'm guessing there are probably a million chicken keepers in Canada. You can't be the only one that can't find poultry grit.
I can't imagine that feed stores that carry chicken feed don't also carry grit.
And no, oyster shell doesn't work as grit. First of all, it is all calcium carbonate. You don't want them to have to continue to eat calcium in an effort to grind their food. Plus, with the acidic environment of the proventriculus and gizzard, OS would be ground up right along with the feed.

Last edited:
I'm guessing there are probably a million chicken keepers in Canada. You can't be the only one that can't find poultry grit.
I can't imagine that feed stores that carry chicken feed don't also carry grit.
And no, oyster shell doesn't work as grit. First of all, it is all calcium carbonate. You don't want them to have to continue to eat calcium in an effort to grind their food. Plus, with the acidic environment of the proventriculus and gizzard, OS would be ground up right along with the feed.
Okay, and if you can, can you help me find granite grit for Ontario please

Back
Top Bottom