Please help!

I've tagged some friends that have helped me through so much and I trust them completely. Since she doesn't seem to be struggling, I believe she's probably OK (not at an immediate risk, but I completely understand and not dismissing your concerns at all). Is she laying normally? Make sure you are not going overboard on treats and at least 90% of their diet is a complete and balanced feed. Keeping dust down and the possibility of mold spores forming will help reduce the risk of aspergillus issues or any other lung issues. She hasn't had any type of trauma before this started has she? Did this start with the seasonal temperature increase?

I'm trying to think of any possible issue.

She might have eaten something she’s not supposed to and got an respiratory problem
I've tagged some friends that have helped me through so much and I trust them completely. Since she doesn't seem to be struggling, I believe she's probably OK. Is she laying normally? Make sure you are not going overboard on treats and at least 90% of their diet is a complete and balanced feed. Keeping dust down and the possibility of mold spores forming will help reduce the risk of aspergillus issues or any other lung issues. She hasn't had any type of trauma before this started has she? Did this start with the seasonal temperature increase?

Might not want to hear, but all options to help, she could have eaten something she wasn’t supposed to like a metal etc that had a bacteria which might have lead to a chronic respiratory infection. And in that case vet? But she seems healthy enough and such so I’m sure it’s not that.

I've tagged some friends that have helped me through so much and I trust them completely. Since she doesn't seem to be struggling, I believe she's probably OK (not at an immediate risk, but I completely understand and not dismissing your concerns at all). Is she laying normally? Make sure you are not going overboard on treats and at least 90% of their diet is a complete and balanced feed. Keeping dust down and the possibility of mold spores forming will help reduce the risk of aspergillus issues or any other lung issues. She hasn't had any type of trauma before this started has she? Did this start with the seasonal temperature increase?

The only treats they get are the occasional frozen blueberries. They free range 3-4 hours a day and sometimes make it to the neighbors to snatch up some cherries that may have fallen off of their tree. No trauma before and she lays almost daily. But yes I suppose it was about the time the weather changed. I hope I’m just being paranoid 😬

Lovely hens!

Since these are Polish hens, they don't have much for wattles or combs. The superficial blood vessels of the comb and wattles vasodilate during hot weather to help with thermoregulation. This particular hen may need to rely more on panting to keep her cool.

She's still young, but she may have an issue with her heart. I have a younger rooster that appears to be presenting with that possibility when it's quite hot. He has a walnut type comb and that may put him at a disadvantage as well.

You may want to check for mites/parasites because they can tax a bird's health. :)
How would I know if it was a heart issue? We don’t have a vet anywhere close that will see chickens unfortunately so anytime an issue occurs I have to do what I can to fix it myself. We’ve been pretty lucky so far but her panting has just made me so nervous. And yes I have thoroughly checked for any type of mite or parasite!

The only treats they get are the occasional frozen blueberries. They free range 3-4 hours a day and sometimes make it to the neighbors to snatch up some cherries that may have fallen off of their tree. No trauma before and she lays almost daily. But yes I suppose it was about the time the weather changed. I hope I’m just being paranoid 😬
I hope that's all it is too. I'm anxious to see what the folks I tagged say. I'm also thinking about what Wicked Chicken has said. That does make sense, but we can still hope for the very best 💜 She's so beautiful and it sounds like she's very well taken care of, so no matter what, you've done a wonderful job with her and I feel like you have much more time to to enjoy her

How would I know if it was a heart issue? We don’t have a vet anywhere close that will see chickens unfortunately so anytime an issue occurs I have to do what I can to fix it myself. We’ve been pretty lucky so far but her panting has just made me so nervous. And yes I have thoroughly checked for any type of mite or parasite!
Lovely hens!

Since these are Polish hens, they don't have much for wattles or combs. The superficial blood vessels of the comb and wattles vasodilate during hot weather to help with thermoregulation. This particular hen may need to rely more on panting to keep her cool.

She's still young, but she may have an issue with her heart. I have a younger rooster that appears to be presenting with that possibility when it's quite hot. He has a walnut type comb and that may put him at a disadvantage as well.

You may want to check for mites/parasites because they can tax a bird's health. :)
I think what WickedChicken6,said made sense about the regulation on temp. And would be a better outcome, I remember worrying about my little chicken when started panting out of no where but eventually it just stopped as she got older. 🙂also cool name.

You can do a search for an Avian Vet in your state. Sometimes you'll find one that's not too far away. The closest one to me was almost 2 hours away. I'd be sure to read reviews on the office before you schedule an appointment

I hope that's all it is too. I'm anxious to see what the folks I tagged say. I'm also thinking about what Wicked Chicken has said. That does make sense, but we can still hope for the very best 💜 She's so beautiful and it sounds like she's very well taken care of, so no matter what, you've done a wonderful job with her and I feel like you have much more time to to enjoy her
Thank you so much! I appreciate you!

Since it could be most anything causing this, you would probably spend a lot of money trying to get this diagnosed by an avian vet, and lab tests, so I would probably just watch her. Good ventilation, a fan blowing air from one end of the coop to the opposite end during hot weather, and limiting dust or wet spots that cause mold would be what I would do. I have used PDZ granules for bedding in a small satellite coop, and it can be dusty. It can also get into the eyes and nostrils if they rub their beaks on the ground. It is easy to keep clean, and great for small coops though.

I have already posted this but thought I’d try again since I didn’t get much response.

My year and a half year old polish girl has been panting for the last few months. Mostly after she runs. She eat and drinks, lays everyday and acts just like her sisters except for the panting. I have checked her throat, nostrils and everything I could think of. The weather here in the PNW has been in the 60s or 70s with the occasional day in the 80s. I really don’t believe that it could be heat related since she is the only one was does it and it happens when she is running around. Am I missing something?
I will try to post a video here.

You mentioned before that she ONLY does this after a run, right? And there is no noise with her breathing.

I just wanted to bring that information here 😉

🤔

Back
Top Bottom