PLEASE HELP!

melissamelissa13

Hatching
Aug 7, 2021
PLEASE HELP! I have three 4 week old turkeys and they are all shaking/twitching and scratching their heads very often. One is laying down and starting to become lethargic. I tried checking for mites, but not really sure what I’m looking for. They are inside in a pine bedded brooder with a heat plate and food 24/7. The only thing iv done differently is I switched them from chick starter to turkey starter maybe 4 days ago and I gave them a small tomato from the garden to eat/play with. They are all still eating and drinking. I can’t figure out how to upload the video I have

PLEASE HELP! I have three 4 week old turkeys and they are all shaking/twitching and scratching their heads very often. One is laying down and starting to become lethargic. I tried checking for mites, but not really sure what I’m looking for. They are inside in a pine bedded brooder with a heat plate and food 24/7. The only thing iv done differently is I switched them from chick starter to turkey starter maybe 4 days ago and I gave them a small tomato from the garden to eat/play with. They are all still eating and drinking. I can’t figure out how to upload the video I have
At 4 weeks old, your poults should be nearly off of heat unless your ambient temperatures are less than 50°F or maybe 60°F.

My poults are out of the brooder when they are two weeks old.

They should also have grit available to them anytime they are on wood shavings and/or receiving treats.

As @PippinTheChicken has said, check for mites and lice. If you can't see anything, try using a magnifying glass.

Permethrin is what to use if you find any mites or lice.

Back
Top Bottom