PLEASE HELP!

Nicole1234

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2022
I am new to hatching. I have a duck that looks to be shrink wrapped. The membrane is very white and stuck to its skin. But it looks like there are still veins that need to recede. What do I do?! I do not have an incubator. Mom was sitting on eggs.
402E8D95-5F84-4297-8960-23F8EA9EA866.jpeg

Antibiotic ointment, aka Neosporin (preferably without pain reliever in it), would be the best product to use because it lasts the longest without needing to be reapplied or hardening the membrane. Apply gently with a q-tip being careful not to rupture any blood vessels and avoid the pip area/bill. This will make the membrane translucent so you will also be able to see better once all of the blood vessels are absorbed.

It does not appear to be shrink wrapped yet. The membrane is a healthy white color and appears pliable. It will start to darken and stiffen as it dries from being exposed to air.

The duckling needs to be kept warm but I would be concerned about putting it back under the broody now that the delicate membrane is exposed. Do you have an incubator that you can put it in while it finishes absorbing the blood vessels and yolk sac?

Good luck with the little one!

Sorry, I read again that you don't have an incubator. Even a heat lamp with a thermometer to make sure it's not getting too hot would be better than nothing at this point. Just make sure to apply the ointment so that it doesn't start to shrink wrap.

Sorry, I read again that you don't have an incubator. Even a heat lamp with a thermometer to make sure it's not getting too hot would be better than nothing at this point. Just make sure to apply the ointment so that it doesn't start to shrink wrap.
If you have a box, a heat lamp, some polestyrine or a sponge (and a hygrometer and thermometer) you can make a humid, warm "incubator" box

Antibiotic ointment, aka Neosporin (preferably without pain reliever in it), would be the best product to use because it lasts the longest without needing to be reapplied or hardening the membrane. Apply gently with a q-tip being careful not to rupture any blood vessels and avoid the pip area/bill. This will make the membrane translucent so you will also be able to see better once all of the blood vessels are absorbed.

It does not appear to be shrink wrapped yet. The membrane is a healthy white color and appears pliable. It will start to darken and stiffen as it dries from being exposed to air.

The duckling needs to be kept warm but I would be concerned about putting it back under the broody now that the delicate membrane is exposed. Do you have an incubator that you can put it in while it finishes absorbing the blood vessels and yolk sac?

The only thing I can do it a heat lamp! Will that work?!

So I came back too check on the baby and mama had kind of squished it(the shell mainly) now the baby is half out of its shell. With the egg yolk still attached. I put a damp rag in a tea cup and I put the remaining shell and yolk in the cup sitting upright with the duck. I also have it under a heat lamp. It is chirping and moving around. Am I doing the right thing?

Attachments

• 182188E2-90C0-416A-AFC0-F597DBFAC94F.jpeg
    182188E2-90C0-416A-AFC0-F597DBFAC94F.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 2
So I came back too check on the baby and mama had kind of squished it(the shell mainly) now the baby is half out of its shell. With the egg yolk still attached. I put a damp rag in a tea cup and I put the remaining shell and yolk in the cup sitting upright with the duck. I also have it under a heat lamp. It is chirping and moving around. Am I doing the right thing?
Yes, that's right, you need to keep it warm right now since it hatched a little early because of being squished.

Back
Top Bottom