Please help

maruchinboo

Hatching
Aug 12, 2023
Slovakia, Central Europe
I have a baby chicken that is 7 days old and it just wants to sleep all the time. It has splayed both legs and is always on it's belly. We have separated it from the other baby chickens and it is very hard to feed her because it ends up falling asleep all the time when someone holds her. It doesn't even want to drink water when I dip the beak into it. There is just a little build up around the butt but it doesn't look like the butt itself is blocked. Are the splayed legs the problem? The chick wasn't able to walk properly because of them. Most of the time it would fall over. It just wants to sleep all the time and it doesn't feel like moving. We've put a heat lamp above the box the chick is in. But I sometimes turned it off because I could see she was feeling hot. Didn't feed her any special foods and didn't make her drink anything else then water. But I did try to mix water with just a little bit of honey and made the chick drink it. I don't know if that helped though, probably didn't even. The chick isn't even chirping as much anymore. I'm afraid it's dying.
To fix the splayed legs, I actually tried to put the chick in a jar, and it wasn't able to fall into it because it was on top of a napkin i attached slightly below the jar opening and cutted two holes so that the legs could go through. Although I realized that probably wouldn't help because the legs weren't really touching the ground. And the feet are also curled, it wouldn't be able to fix them. Then I put the chick in a small glass cup and bandaged/taped its feet and put the chick on top. The feet were touching the ground and and the chick had access to the food, but it kept on falling asleep. Later, I found the chick in the cup, the head fell in and it looked like it was in a very uncomfortable position, then I put the chick out of it.
Please help

Welcome to BYC

Can you post photos?

It sounds like your chick is failing to thrive, so it may be time to put her out of her misery. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/

The legs being splayed out and toes curling would be a problem. At 7 days old, I'm not sure if you can correct splayed legs, but you if you wish you can try. Your chick needs hydration, vitamins and food. Work on giving some electrolytes. Give her Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex (1/4 tablet). Offer her wet soupy feed. If she's not willing to eat and drink, then she's not going to make it, even if it's possible to correct the leg issues.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

I have news. Another chick just hatched when me and my family were not expecting it.
Our hen layed on around 15 eggs and is currently with the 5 chicks that successfully hatched without any problems. There were still eggs that didn't hatch and we threw them out into the garbage container/can. (sorry I don't know how to say it in english)
Some time after that I heard chirping and I found out that a chick hatched in there. There were many white worms that were on the egg. We put the egg out of there and washed it with warm water to get the worms off. We eventually got all of them off of her (hopefully). Actually took another three eggs out of the garbage just in case another will hatch. here are some photos
I don't know what to do. Should I put her and the eggs inside or can she be outside? It's pretty hot outside and I don't believe that she's cold and the eggs too. I don't think that we can put her and the eggs back to the hen and other chicks. The hen hasn't been sitting on the eggs for 3 days so I don't think it's a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.jpeg
    IMG_2581.jpeg
    962.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2582.jpeg
    IMG_2582.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2584.jpeg
    IMG_2584.jpeg
    641.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2583.jpeg
    IMG_2583.jpeg
    713.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2585.jpeg
    IMG_2585.jpeg
    951.6 KB · Views: 5
Can she stand on her own?

You will need to place her in a brooder, which can be a very large box.
She may need extra heat. You don't mention your temperatures. A good guideline is that chicks need one warm spot in the brooder this around 85-90F for the first week. She needs enough room to get away from the heat source and be able to cool down if necessary.

Provide her with food/water.

Here's some info about brooding chicks

https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-build-better-brooder-for-raising/
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/chicks-in-the-brooder.html

If your chicken isn't laying on the nest then you definitely will need a brooder like mentioned to keep the chick warm and just as soon as it has enough energy to stand on its own and move around you can put it back with it's mother at night.

If those eggs have chicks then you need to keep them warm so that they can finish hatching. Try out candling the eggs to see if there is a live chick inside.

What language do you speak? My mother language is Spanish if that helps.

She can stand, but she moves a little trying to keep balance. She seems bigger compared to the baby chick from before.
We don't have any proper brooder for her, and I did actually think about putting her back to the mother hen when she has enough energy but the hen isn't laying on the nest through the day anymore. I put her in a small box and put a heat lamp above the box. I tried to make her drink by putting her beak into the water and she seemed to drink a little. She did put her beak into the water herself to drink but only once. I tried to make her eat by putting her beak into the food and she did eat but only a little bit.
I'm not sure the other eggs have living chicks inside, because they smell bad. One of the eggs is cracked and you can see the inner layer of the egg but it's really dark. I can't tell if there is a chick inside and if she is alive but there is definitely something in there. We put the eggs in a box outside and put a dark towel on top.

She can stand, but she moves a little trying to keep balance. She seems bigger compared to the baby chick from before.
We don't have any proper brooder for her, and I did actually think about putting her back to the mother hen when she has enough energy but the hen isn't laying on the nest through the day anymore. I put her in a small box and put a heat lamp above the box. I tried to make her drink by putting her beak into the water and she seemed to drink a little. She did put her beak into the water herself to drink but only once. I tried to make her eat by putting her beak into the food and she did eat but only a little bit.
I'm not sure the other eggs have living chicks inside, because they smell bad. One of the eggs is cracked and you can see the inner layer of the egg but it's really dark. I can't tell if there is a chick inside and if she is alive but there is definitely something in there. We put the eggs in a box outside and put a dark towel on top.
If there were chicks im the eggs they are probably dead now, for chicks to hatch they need a constant temperature. Do put the chick with it's mother at night at least, they desperately need 33 to 34 degrees Celsius to survive the first three days and the temperature varies little by little each week, you need to put a thermometer beneath the heat lamp to see the temperature. If you do not control this you might dehydrate the chick of freeze it to death.
When I had to raise a chick I gave it a puree of tuna, maiz dough and cooked beans with a toothpick and gave it water with a eye dropper. I took it with it's mother every day so she wouldn't stop recognizing it, until it was strong enough to follow her and it's siblings. Thankfully for me the chicken was very docile and nice, but chickens aren't always this way. You must be there to see their interaction and if she doesn't take to the chick you will have to raise it yourself.

My chick never stopped following me around a bit even when it grew to a chicken, because if I ever saw it lag behind the mother, and it was cold, I would go pick it up and heat it. It had two mothers really hehe.

Please do not take chick raising lightly or you will have the misfortune of another dead chick, and I see it affects you just as it does most of us.

The chick seems to be doing okay. She is quiet almost all of the time. She learned how to eat by herself. I'm not sure if she knows how to drink alone. I'm probably going to put her to the mother hen tomorrow night. I'm afraid that she won't accept her though. For tonight I will still keep her inside. Sadly I don't have a thermometer, so I'm going to judge based off of the chick's actions

here are photos of her

Attachments

• IMG_2587.jpeg
    IMG_2587.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2588.jpeg
    IMG_2588.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2586.jpeg
    IMG_2586.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 3

Back