Please help!

Electric21

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 17, 2012
Please can someone help me, this morning one of my chickens is very quiet and is slowly walking around and keeps moving away from the other girls, i have 4 al together, she was fine last night, running around and happy with the others. I really dont know what to do i keep watching her and she keeps hiding under the trees.
sad.png
..... Ive checked for lice, but nothing obvious there.. She also has a bit of a messy bottom.. :(

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She is 24 week Warren Chicken - (Rhode Island Red Hybrid) she was fit and healthy until yesterday lunchtime then she started sitting under bushes and not moving unless encouraged, she walks very very slowly. The other girls are all fine and running about as normal, they are ignoring the poorly girl. She doesn't appear to have any obvious injury, bleeding or broken bones, no sign of mites either. I haven't seen her eating or drinking anything.
The poop around her bottom is white.
She lives in a 8 week old hen house, with 3 nesting boxes which have sawdust, straw which is coated with red mite powder, the house has a attached enclosure but they are let out to roam through the day. the only signifcant change i can think of is that we have had frosty mornings for the last two days..
I haven't adminstered any treatment so far because i don't know what i'm treating! This is the first time I have kept chickens.

They were all wormed about 8 weeks ago, I was told to worm them every 3-6 months, is that correct?

I am guessing one of 2 things could be going on. I don't know where you are at, so I don't know what your weather is like, but if the ground isn't frozen she could have a cocci overload. Cocci is in the dirt and can be a problem for young birds especially if the weather has been wet. The other possibility is she is getting ready to lay and is having a hard time. At 24 weeks a RIR hybrid is at the prime age to start laying. You could give her a warm bath and check to see if she has an egg stuck inside.

I agree with CMV, probably eggbound. Soak her in a container of warm water up to her sides. Gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. Then wear a disposable glove, put olive oil on your finger and insert it into her vent checking for debris or stuck egg. Then put olive oil just inside and around the vent. Soaking her in warm water expands her innards and massaging helps move the egg along. Finger in the vent stretches her and the olive oil makes it easier for the egg to slip out of the vent. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom