Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

witchhippie

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
I am on day 18 of the hatching process. I took my eggs out of the turner and added water to increase the humidity. I then headed to my sisters for several hours. When I got home my temp had gone from 100 to 85. Did I kill the little guys or does anyone think there still might be a chance. I'm not sure why the temp dropped so much. I turned the temp up a smig and put a towel over the top, I'm not sure if this will help or not. My heart is breaking
sad.png

It has to be colder for longer to kill them. It will delay the hatch till they warm up. At that stage they are getting into position to hatch and they do produce body heat on their own. Were the eggs putting off any heat or were they cool to touch.

Well if it makes you feel any better, we do the homemade incubator, great success by the way. But with summer now here, the incubator gets up in temp.... So mine got up to 100, so I turned off the light bulb to get the temp back to 95/96 degrees (because I didn't want to lift the lid and let humidity out. Well, I got busy doing something, and then went out to dinner and it hit me 6 hours later, on the way home that I forgot to turn it back on. Luckily my son said something to his sister, and it was turned back on after 4 hours thou.....the temp got down to 83-85. I panicked being a day to go before they were to hatch. I was freaking out. Thought for sure they were dead. I even candled a few that night and I saw movement so I felt a little better. I had 11 eggs in there and 11 chicks came out. Did you candle on the 17th day before lockdown? I would just quickly candle a couple just to ease your mind. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

They'll definitely be ok. I cool my eggs everyday, may not be as long as several hours, but I'm sure your chickies will be just fine. Just may delay the hatch a little.

Well if it makes you feel any better, we do the homemade incubator, great success by the way. But with summer now here, the incubator gets up in temp.... So mine got up to 100, so I turned off the light bulb to get the temp back to 95/96 degrees (because I didn't want to lift the lid and let humidity out. Well, I got busy doing something, and then went out to dinner and it hit me 6 hours later, on the way home that I forgot to turn it back on. Luckily my son said something to his sister, and it was turned back on after 4 hours thou.....the temp got down to 83-85. I panicked being a day to go before they were to hatch. I was freaking out. Thought for sure they were dead. I even candled a few that night and I saw movement so I felt a little better. I had 11 eggs in there and 11 chicks came out. Did you candle on the 17th day before lockdown? I would just quickly candle a couple just to ease your mind. Good luck
thumbsup.gif
You keep yours at 96 degrees? Isnt that not warm enough?

They did not feel cool at all. I hope they will be OK. I figured out what happened. When we went to remove the turner one of the windows fell out. However, I was rushing and didn't notice.

I candled a couple last night. I can still see the vein and I thought I migt of saw one move a little. I'm hoping that wasn't just wishful thinking.
hmm.png

Thanks for everyones help, I feel better. I'll keep everyone posted on how things go.

I have my temp at 100 and humidity is rocking between 70 and 72.

Last edited:
Sounds like your going to be OK. When they start hatching the humidity will hit the roof. Don't worry about it as the chicks dry out it will go back down by itself. I guess thats why they call it lockdown.

Good luck on your hatch. I have read in some of the incubators when the turners are taken out that can cause the temps to drop too because of the motor for the turner.

Back
Top Bottom