PLEASE HELP

ChickenCrazy8

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Canada, Ottawa
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Rhode Island Red that is over one and a half years old. When I went outside this morning I noticed that she looked a bit off. I didn't think much of it but when I went out this afternoon she is looking really bad. She is hunched over and doesn't come when I call her (she is always the first one to come when I call). Also, she pooped and her poop, which is green, is bathed in a puddle of clear mucus. I looked up at the poop board and noticed to very sloppy poops up there as well. She is currently in the garage in a box with wood shavings, water, feed and plain yogurt. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her and if she will live or die???

I just realized that two nights ago would be christmas day. On christmas day I gave my chickens, plain yogurt, banana, sunflower seeds and oatmeal all mixed together. Do you think that she might have ate so much that she is now sick?

Last edited:
Hi Chickencrazy8, I'm not far from you, nice to see someone on this site so close to home! Sorry to hear about your RIR? Has she laid recently? Do you usually give your chickens treats? Your Christmas goodies may have thrown her off if she's not used to it but those things you gave her aren't bad for chickens so I don't think it's that. I agree with the previous post about possibly worms? If that's the case all your flock should be de-wormed.

How would I know if she has worms? Her laying has been all over the place for the past two months. She lays really big eggs and has had trouble in the past with laying eggs with no shells. I don't think she has lice or mites.
Thanks everyone!

How would I know if she has worms?  Her laying has been all over the place for the past two months.   She lays really big eggs and has had trouble in the past with laying eggs with no shells.  I don't think she has lice or mites.  
Thanks everyone! 

She is probably have a egg problem. Do you feel an egg in her vent?? You could send a sample of her poop to a vet. Or you could just worm them.

It's at times like this I feel like I should never have gotten chickens. My goal was to give them the best life possible but if I have a chicken getting sick then I am doing a pretty horrible job!

Back
Top Bottom