Please help!!

Dutchieeee

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can help me! I have an Isa Brown that I bought point of lay - approx 18weeks...not really sure.
Anyway, we've had our hens for 5 weeks and 1 is laying daily (the other 2 aren't & don't know how to get them to start laying - help on this too please!) One is not well. All 4 Hens are free roaming in the backyard. The unwell one started not being able to walk properly, drooping neck, eyes blinking slowly like she was drifting in & out of consciousness. I isolated her in a box for a few days with fresh garlic water, food & straw & after 3 days, she escaped out of the box herself & was back roaming the yard. Fast forward 3 days & I found her limp. I thought she was dead! I isolated her - she couldn't hold her head up, couldn't walk, feet were curled up, couldn't stand. After a few hours, she could hold her head upright, stand & walk but her feet were still curled. Now, today, she is walking up & down the box, drinking & eating & wanting to get out.
I really don't know what to do!!!! I've read into the diseases (botulism & mareks) & whilst they sound like her symptoms, they disappear within a few days! Is that normal??? Could it be anything else?? I am not sure if I should let her out with the others or not.......
Welcome all suggestions/remedies/advice please! New chicken owner so have no idea really!

thats a strange one! not sure what it could be
idunno.gif
but i would seperate her , just in case! has she any rasping while breathing? is her poop normal?

Hi Nettifer - thanks for your response. No rasping (that I've noticed) & her poop looks normal....I think normal is kind of firm-ish, dark greenish white? She is 100% today, back with the group & seems fine!! Has no access to compost bin, mouldy food, stagnant water etc, just backyard- grass & dirt! It's really upsetting me as I'm stressing I'll have to isolate her again within 24-48hours!

Well,mine usually end up getting freaked out at night,it's long story,but they don't have a proper coop,but when it happens at night,if I don't find them,they sometimes don't show up till as late as 11 am.but for mine once I pick them up they almost always snap right out of it.I'm very worried about your hen,as I have an isa myself,so keep us updated!!

Last edited:
Bush chickens...Just thought I'd let you know that my girl made a full recovery! I have no idea what was wrong. A few days of isolation (again) and she was as right as rain & has been for awhile now! Only thing I have done differently is I have stopped giving food scraps....I think she may hVe been eating something quite mouldy which could have caused her problems. So far, so good!

Back
Top Bottom