Please help!

booklover19

Hatching
6 Years
May 10, 2013
My little dear isn't acting very well. She's really sick and I have no idea why, she just lays there with her head down, sometimes tucked up under her body. I don't know what to do, my dad is reluctant to spend a lot of money on what he calls frivolous. She sometimes chirps but otherwise won't get up, like her head is super heavy. I need answers ASAP, she's been like this since yesterday morning, maybe before. Please help!

Oh, that's too bad he's calling it frivolous. She's a pet just like any other. But you need to give us more info; how old is she, is she laying, what does she eat, where did you get her and how long have you had her, what are her droppings like and what do you feed her? Also where do you keep her and who are her friends?

Mine are pets too so I understand how you feel and want to help her. I've taken my babies to the vet and it is so worth it. If you can somehow convince him and tell him how much she means to you then you would get an answer and meds if needed. But we can do our best trying to help you! More info would definitely help :)

<3 kelsey

We got her in march Aprilish. She is eating Nutrena country feed, it's a chick starter as we still have some. We got her from jax when she was just about a week or so, and have had her ever since. She is not laying yet, she is kept with another of her breed, and 4 other older hens, and some younger chicks just starting to feather. Also she keeps doing this thing where she shakes her head and tucks it under her body. Does that help?

The odd thing is, she will curl her head under but bring it back up, she'll just lay there with her head out in front of her. Earlier she was on my lap and "coughed up" I guess that's the right word, or I guess she kinda "sneezed" not exactly right either. Anyway some wet stuff came out of her beak area, also when she tucks her head in she moves it around, especially when I pick her up.

Update: she is doing a lot better, she is standing and eating and drinking with minimal help. She is still with me but looking better!
thank you so much to everyone that helped!

Well, keep an eye on her because chickens will hide their symptoms. If she backslides you'd be doing well to start her on some antibiotics.
You can get Tylan water soluble at a lot of feed stores. If they don't have it you can try Tylan injectable and I could find you the instructions
for flushing her nasal cavities with it. I have never used Tylan injectable where you actually inject it in the breast, but I know it is not hard
because a lot of people do it routinely. If it comes to that, you could ask the feed store to show you how, or someone on here can tell you.
TSC and a lot of feed stores carry it. There are plenty of other antibiotics available that you can order on line, too, just ask if you need more help.

Good luck, glad she's doing better!

Back
Top Bottom