please help.

Brandon Gage

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
I got this rooster from a friend. He said it was a dark cornish? I researched it and people said it was a game rooster.
I have other roosters will they fight? He is not fully mature yet.

If you have other roosters, they will most likely fight. Roosters are usually very territorial. If you are planning to keep him, I would say the best way would be to keep him separate from the rest.

Beautiful bird, by the way. :)

Good luck!

If you have other roosters, they will most likely fight. Roosters are usually very territorial. If you are planning to keep him, I would say the best way would be to keep him separate from the rest.

Beautiful bird, by the way. :)

Good luck!

I disagree with this. He may be more territorial than other roosters, yes--just because Dark Cornish are a fairy aggressive breed. However, there is no reason that more than one rooster can't get along in the same flock. Many, many people keep more than one rooster, and many people even keep bachelor pens filled with nothing but roosters. The most important factors for this are 1. enough hens and 2. enough space.

Especially with a more dominant breed like this, you must have enough hens so that there's no need for the boys to fight. I would say that 10 hens per rooster would be your minimum, but you can have more hens. You also, as I said above, can make bachelor pads of nothing but roosters. As long as they don't have any hens to fight over, they usually get along just fine.

As far as space, people think roosters will fight and kill each other. I think they get this reputation because of cockfighting, but outside of that artificially violent situation where roosters have blades strapped to their spurs and no way to get away, roosters rarely do permanent damage to each other even when they do fight. What usually happens is that they fly at each other, rip out some feathers, and then the loser runs away. The winner will chase him around and around until he's sure the loser understands who is the boss. Then, they will be fine together. Our roosters roost on the same perch most of the year, except during about a week in the spring when they spar a bit to determine the alpha for the year. The most important part of this is to have enough space for the loser to run away. It's when the loser gets backed into a corner and the winner doesn't think he's being submissive enough that you get blood drawn. After all, the winner only knows that the loser isn't running far enough away. He doesn't have the mental capacity to make the distinction that "the loser can't go any farther because we don't have enough room to do this right, so I'll give him a break."

I almost always have multiple roosters in the same flock. Right now I have two mature roosters and six cockerels in with 85 hens. Most days of the year we don't have a single fight, although as I said earlier, I expect some sparring in the spring. I'll also sell a couple of cockerels before then, also. We'll probably end up with a 1:15 or 1:25 rooster:hen ratio.

Edited to add:
When you have multiple roosters, it kind of looks like a kingdom. You have the Alpha Roo, who is king over the whole flock. He will keep a group of favorite hens, but also mate with any hen he feels like and there will be no challenge to him. Under the Alpha Roo are the Subordinate Roos. Think of them like the Lords of the kingdom. They will each have a small flock-within-a-flock of favorite hens that they rule. Usually, this system works out fairly well.

Last edited:
I also have quite a few roosters of many different breeds. A few squabbles here and there, but never anything big. They get along for the most part. The squabbles happen when an underling tries to mate a hen. The higher up roosters will knock them off and that's that.

Looks like a small dark cornish rooster to me, not a game.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom